Chapter 18

Maddy was confused.

She understood that she'd been asleep for four months. That wasn't hard to comprehend. But according to Stefan, he and Klaus had met before, when he and Maddy had been in Chicago in the 1920s.

"That's impossible," said Maddy. "If you knew Klaus, I would have realized it. I would have known."

"Not if you were too busy cleaning up your brother's mess," said Klaus pointedly. "You know, love, your brothers have grown accustomed to you being their maid because you made them think that you'd handle everything."

Maddy scoffed. "Stefan never saw me as his maid. He just didn't care. I did. This... this makes no sense. Why are we even here?"

"I'm having quite a bit of trouble making hybrids," said Klaus. "Unfortunately, Stefan and I haven't determined why that is yet. We came here to see a rather powerful witch who I knew would have the answers. She required me to wake my sister, which is why I figured there was no time like the present to end your beauty sleep."

He looked at her expectantly, and she cringed. "Am I supposed to be thanking you for waking me up?"

Klaus shrugged. "I was under the impression that you were the polite one."

She looked around. "What are we waiting for? Why are we still here?"

"We're just waiting for Rebekah to wake up. I'm sure she'll be along short..." he held up his finger, hearing some rustling, and then a yell. "There she is." He looked at Stefan and Maddy. "Wait right here. Don't come in until I signal for you."

He went into the next room, which was apparently where 'Rebekah' was just waking up.

Maddy took a moment to look at her brother. "Are you okay?" she whispered.

"Fine," he said gruffly. "You?"

"I... I don't feel any different. Did I really miss everything?"

"Mhm."

"He did this on purpose," Maddy grumbled. "He knew he wouldn't turn you into the wingman he wanted unless I was out of the picture. Stefan..."

"Don't, Madeleine," he said. "It doesn't matter. Nothing does."

"Rebekah," she heard Klaus crooning in the next room, which made her go still, just waiting. "It's your big brother. Come out, come out, wherever you are."

She heard a grunt, and a slicing sound. "Go to hell, Nik!"

Surely she would have known if Klaus and another Original had been friends with Stefan. Maddy was sure she knew all his friends. Had he been sneaking around, the entire time she was stressing about keeping the authorities off their backs? Did she not know her brother at all?

Maybe that was the case. Damon had been the one insisting they didn't tell Stefan about being trapped with the Augustine Society. It was likely that Stefan kept major secrets from her, too.

But how did that make sense? She had been trailing behind Stefan (some would say, like a lost puppy), trying to anchor him to his humanity. Unless, of course, she'd bugged the Originals so much that they compelled her to go away for a few hours. Obviously, she would never have remembered it.

"Don't pout," said Klaus in th either room. "You knew it wouldn't kill me.

"Yeah, but I was hoping it would hurt more." Maddy was trying her hardest to place that voice. But she couldn't. She'd never heard it before, she was sure of it.

"I understand that you're upset with me, Rebekah... so I'm going to let that go. Just this once. Brought you a little peace offering. You can come in."