Chapter 10

Maddy couldn't entertain herself.

She couldn't talk to herself, and she didn't have her phone, because her brothers were currently looking through it. They wouldn't find many messages, though. She made a habit of deleting them as soon as the conversation was over.

"So," said Stefan, looking in at her through the gap in the door. "Damon decided we can't give you blood."

She looked at him sadly, knowing that this was probably a good idea. If she remained strong, she could break out. But if she was weak, then they could make sure she didn't do anything else on Elijah's orders. She nodded, just to let Stefan know she heard him.

"Caroline got kidnapped by the wolves today," he told her. "Elijah's witch rescued us when we went to get her. John is being a dick and causing problems between Jenna and Ric, but there's not much we can do about that. He was helpful today, though. He showed us these mystical daggers that can apparently kill an Original. We're gonna talk to Katherine tomorrow about that, see if she knows anything. We're not sure how killing an Original will affect the compulsion. It... it might make it stay forever, or it might take it away. Katherine will tell us. If it stays stuck after we kill him, then we'll have Bonnie see if she can find a way to undo it magically. Compulsion is magic, so... maybe there's a way to remove it."

Maddy held up her hand, making a sign language 'D' to ask where Damon was.

Stefan's face fell. "He doesn't... he's... he's trying not to be bitter. I'm trying to help him understand that you didn't have a choice. You didn't betray us because you wanted to. Elijah forced you to. This isn't your fault, Mads."

She stifled a sob, bringing her sleeve up to wipe her eyes.

"I swear, we'll find a way to free you," said Stefan. "But for the time being, you're safer here. All of us are. I don't know what else Elijah compelled you to do, and you can't tell me, so..."

She sighed, leaning back on the small cot. She curled up, closing her eyes to signal to Stefan that she was done talking for the day.

She couldn't sleep that night. She tried to tire herself out, thinking of all the ways she'd torture Elijah for having done this to her. She hated him. She wanted to rip all his organs out and dismember him and toss him in the vervain well where Mason had put the moonstone.

The next day had been a bit worse. The entire twenty-four hours, she was trapped in the cell. Stefan came to update her in the evening, to tell her that Bonnie had learned more about Elijah's witches, and how they'd narrowly survived a wolf attack. The situation with Jenna and Alaric was getting worse as John continued to plant seeds of doubt.

She'd heard, at one point, that people had been in the house. She wrote her question about it on a paper for Stefan, who explained that the wolves had chained Damon up, much like he did to Mason Lockwood. They were going to kill him, but Elijah rescued him.

"Yes, Elijah was here," said Stefan when Maddy's face lit up. Though, he noticed how quickly her expression dropped when she realized Elijah had been there and hadn't even bothered to check on her. "Damon talked to him, asked him if he could please remove the compulsion. Elijah didn't want to. Um... aside from that, there's nothing else to tell, really. Tyler's gone, Caroline is pretty worked up about it. He didn't say goodbye."

She nodded glumly. Taking pity on her, Stefan opened the door, coming inside and sitting with her. He handed her phone to her. "We've deleted Elijah's contact and any recent call buttons you might click. And, of course, blocked his number. He can't contact you. Maybe you can play a few games and keep yourself entertained tomorrow."

She raised a brow, as if to ask, 'What's happening tomorrow?'

"Um, well I'm gonna go back to the lake house with Elena. She's alone there and it worries me. But uh, Damon's gonna try and take down Elijah. Katherine says that daggering him will leave her stuck in the tomb forever. Which means... we're going to have to find a different way to undo your compulsion. But it's okay, we're gonna work it out, Mads, I promise. Try and get some sleep, okay?"