Chapter 9

They learned the next morning that Rose was sick.

"But I thought that was healed," Maddy said, examining her shoulder, where the oozing bite only seemed to be getting worse.

"That's what we thought," muttered Damon.

"It's okay," said Rose. "You know... I was born in 1450, that makes me five hundred and sixty year old. I can die, I've lived long enough."

Maddy frowned. "But there has to be something we can do. Even if you're willing to die, this is something pretty serious. We need to know if there's a cure, or something."

"You know," said Damon, looking at Rose as he opened a blood bag and poured its contents into a glass, "if you're gonna be morn, I'm just gonna kill you myself just to put me out of your misery. Come on, it's just a little werewolf bite."

"Damon," said Maddy sharply.

"It's alright," said Rose. "Just a little... fatal-to-a-vampire werewolf bite."

"Well," said the elder Salvatore, "according to a legend which is a notoriously unreliable source. Drink up. Blood heals." He slid the glass of blood to her.

Rose sighed, and drank it. "Yeah, I don't feel like it's working..."

Maddy swept her shirt to the side. Just in the time they'd been talking, the bite had grown worse. "How is it?" asked Rose.

"Definitely... better," said Damon, looking up as Elena entered the room. "Right, Elena?"

The doppelgänger hesitated. "Um... it's not bad."

Maddy shook her head. "Where's my other brother?"

"He left," she said. "I need you both to talk to him. He's convinced that he has to find Isobel but I think that's gonna upset Elijah. He wanted us to do nothing."

"No can do," said Damon. "I'm with Stefan on this one but if you could play nurse for a little while..."

"It's not necessary," said Rose quickly.

"You can't be left alone," said Maddy. "Damon has to go see Stefan and I'm... gonna go and find out if there's a cure."

"It'll be fine," said Damon. "Elena is a do-gooder. It's in her nature, she just can't resist. She'll take care of you, Rose."

Maddy cast them all a reassuring smile before getting to her feet. "I'll let you know if I find anything."

She left the house, her compulsion forcing her to go to a remote area to call Elijah to tell them that she'd be busy that day. However, as soon as her memories returned, she realized something.

"I need your help," she told him once he answered the phone. "Rose was bitten by a werewolf. There has to be a cure, right? You're over a thousand years old, if anyone knows about a cure to a wolf bite, it's you, otherwise you would have died long ago."

Elijah heaved a sigh. "A wolf bite cannot kill an Original. Even if there was a cure, I would have had no reason to find it. The only way to keep Rosemarie from suffering is to kill her before she begins to feel extreme pain."

"That can't be your answer! Elijah, please, there has to be something that you can do for her."

"There is nothing I can do. Are you going to tell me what's been going on, or not?"

Maddy wanted to scream, but the compulsion prevented that. "Stefan's trying to get in touch with Isobel Flemming, Elena's biological mother. With all her research, he must figure she knows about Klaus. He's still desperate, trying to keep Elena safe. I don't think there's anything I can do to—"