Chapter 26

Damon was waiting for her in her room at the Boarding House.

"You showed up," he said, sounding mildly surprised.

"Well, you didn't give me a location," she replied. "I went to my old apartment, found nothing. Now I'm here, and so are you. You better have a good apology prepared."

His face fell. "I'm not good with apologies, you know that."

"I don't care, Damon. You slut-shamed me. It was completely uncalled for and frankly, really hurtful. I didn't deserve that."

"I know you didn't, Mads. I was angry. I didn't think."

"You did think. And you thought to hurt me. What is your deal here? Why do you hate Klaus so damn much? I would expect this from Stefan but not from you. Klaus has done nothing to you. And yet you took your anger out on me. That was fucked up."

He hung his head. "I know. I shouldn't have been so cruel to you. I just can't stand the thought of that monster being anywhere near you. He's just gonna hurt you. I don't like seeing you in pain."

"It's gonna take a lot more than that for me to forgive you," she muttered. "That is a completely crap apology. If you were so worried, you could have said something instead of running off with his siblings. Whatever. Get to the point, why did you want to talk to me?"

"What's in the sealed coffin?"

"I don't know. Klaus won't tell me. In case you didn't hear, Rebekah tortured me and nearly killed me because I knew about Klaus killing their mom and didn't tell her. My fault, I know that, but still. I guess he figures I'm safer not knowing something that could get me hurt. He was concerned that you'd hurt me. So I'll ask you a question now. Are you going to hurt me now that you didn't get what you wanted out of this meeting?"

He shook his head. "No. I'm not gonna hurt you. I guess there's nothing I can do to get you to stop hanging out with that guy. Even though he could choose to rip a chunk out of your throat at any moment."

"He wouldn't do that. You need to stop being so obsessed with my love life. I'm a grown up, accept that. You can't keep assuming that everyone is going to break my heart. I know it's happened several times, and I appreciate you being there to help me in the past, but this is different. I didn't have history with those other men and women. I was just meeting them, and things didn't go well. I know Klaus. I've known him for a long time, and I've felt this love for him that no one else has brought out of me. There's something special with him, something I need in my life. Again, I appreciate you worrying and making sure my partners don't hurt me but you have problems of your own to deal with. Focus on your own relationship status."

"Mine is just fine."

"I feel bad for whoever your sights are currently set on."

"Even if she's a psycho doctor?"

Maddy blinked. "Wait, what?"

"Meredith Fell."

"Shut up, you're not dating Meredith Fell."

"Dating, no. Sleeping with, yes."

"Um... how?"

"She knows Jenna. I know Ric. Saw her, talked to her, she vervained me and took my blood, it's a whole thing. She's also a murderer."

"Damon, are you on drugs?"

"Nope. See, they met up the other day and spoke to Meredith's annoying little ex Brian Walters. Turns out the guy was staked like a vampire, except he's human. Who else would have killed him?"