Chapter 51

'Sarah' really thought that she had Maddy fooled.

Maddy had let her go on and on about her childhood and all the awful things she'd experienced to get to where they were now, in the cafeteria at Whitmore College.

The woman felt bad for her. She really did. These foster homes she'd been in sounded absolutely awful, and she hated that anyone could be so cruel to a child who'd never done anything to hurt people.

At last, she pressed her palm down onto the table, staring at her intently. "I'm sorry for this," she said. "I really am. It... is absolutely horrible that you had to go through that. If you really wanted a family, I'd be glad to accept you into mine, but not like this. Not when you're lying to me about who you are."

Her face went slack. "What? Do— do you not believe me? I told you, I'm Zach and Gail's daughters. I have these pictures—" she brought them out, but Maddy pushed her hand away.

"I have copies of those pictures already," said Maddy quietly. "Physically, in the house I can't return to. And burned into my mind. I was there when they were taken. And I was there when Sarah Salvatore was born. I held her for just a moment before I handed her to the couple who took her in right from the hospital. A good pair who have been great parents to her. I know that she wasn't in the foster care system. She's getting ready to finish up high school soon, and she's intending to apply to Duke as an art major, because her passion is photography. I know what Sarah looks like and you... despite bearing enough of a resemblance to be mistaken as her sister... you are not Sarah Salvatore."

The girl gulped, realizing she'd been caught. "I... I didn't think you knew her."

"Of course I knew her. She's my niece. I may not have ever spoken to her. And she may not know I even exist. But my brother and I have always kept an eye on her from afar. The question I have now is... if you're not Sarah, then who are you, really?"

She sighed. "Monique. My name is Monique. I met Sarah at sleep-away camp, or as my foster family liked to call it, 'get the hell out of my house' camp. Sarah had a great life. Me? Not so much. So when I found out that she had no desire to find her real family—"

"You figured you'd find them for her and get some happiness," murmured Maddy. "Unfortunately... this family is more dysfunctional than many."

"I know about you all being vampires," said Monique. "Jeremy told me. Even with that in mind, I can't imagine your family is worse than what I had."

Maddy pursed her lips. "My older brother killed Gail." Acknowledging the shocked look on Monique's face, she continued, "He never knew that Sarah survived. She's safer that way. Away from this world. You'd probably be safer from this, too. Monique..." she sighed, "I can't let you remember this."

Monique immediately scooted her chair back. "No! You can't erase my memories!"

"I'm not going to wipe every last aspect out of your mind," she said. "I'm human now, I can't..." she heaved a harsher sigh than before. "Look, if you want a family, I guess you and I can keep in touch, but you knowing about Sarah is risky. All I ask is that you let my boyfriend compel you to forget everything you know about Sarah specifically. Everything else can stay. Just know that I'm leaving for New Orleans soon. So... if you want to follow, you can, but it's probably not the safest option."

The girl's eyes welled up with tears. "I just wanted to know what it was like to have a good family. That's it."

"I wish I could give you that. I really do. But my family will only put you in danger."

"I-I don't have anything else. Or anyone else. I don't even know where I'm going to live when I leave this place."

Maddy bit her lip. "Tell you what. I'll give you the money you need to get a fresh start somewhere nice. Somewhere that you can feel safe. In exchange, you let my boyfriend wipe away all the memories you have of Sarah."