Chapter 56

Ansel was not in the mood to talk.

Maddy could sense it. He kept staring ahead at the road once they got a person to drive them into the city. And though she had a million questions, she elected to keep quiet.

The woman who gave them a ride was kind enough to leave them at the Compound. Maddy thanked her and offered to pay her, but she said it wasn't necessary.

The two moved into the large house, with Ansel trailing a bit far behind, as if he wasn't sure whether he should come inside or not. Maddy had to beckon him with her hand. He still didn't appear very chatty. He'd obviously wanted to keep her safe, but it didn't necessarily mean he was eager to be more than an acquaintance.

"Thank you," she said once they were in the courtyard, and she'd gotten service on her phone to tell Hayley and Klaus what had happened. She knew Mikael would leave the wolves alone when he woke up. He'd be able to sense instantly that she wasn't with them anymore.

Klaus had called her immediately after receiving her text. "Are you alright?" he asked frantically. "Did he hurt you?"

"Aside from some bruises, I'm fine," she said. She noticed Ansel making a motion to not speak, and he kept pointing at himself, which Maddy took to mean that he didn't want Klaus to know he was there. "I got lucky, I was able to incapacitate him long enough to stake him with a branch. I ran to the main road and a lady gave me a ride to the Compound. I'm here now."

"I'll be home in five minutes, do not go anywhere. What of the wolves?"

"The two that had been walking with me are dead, unfortunately. Mikael took me away from the Pack as soon as he got me alone, so everyone else should be fine, I hope. Did you find Elijah?"

"Yes. My mother did have him. She was ranting and raving about her plan. She insisted she could put me in the body of a mortal werewolf. It would allow me to grow old with you and know the part of myself that she denied me to hide her infidelity. I declined. And still, she gave me access to Elijah. I have him with me. He hasn't awoken."

Hearing this, Ansel immediately turned and walked out. Maddy just huffed. "I'll call Elena, she'll want to be here when he wakes up. There's no telling what Esther did to him. She might be able to comfort him, if anything."

"Very well, love. Call her, and I will call Jo to make her way to us. She will examine you for any injuries."

"Nothing is broken, Nik, I promise. He could have killed me but he didn't. He was definitely going to set some kind of trap for you. I imagine he would have waited until then to kill me. Spark your rage and leave you blinded by it so that he'd have the advantage. Do you think you'll be able to get the white oak anytime soon?"

"I have it in my possession. Kol sent me a list of herbs I could utilize to remove Davina's spell. It was surprisingly accurate."

"Surprisingly? Your brother studied magic for a thousand years— longer than any living witch, even your mother. Of course he knew what to do. You need to believe in him more."

Klaus sighed. "I will be home soon. Stay put, love, please."

"I will." She hung up, and immediately called Elena, who had booked a flight before they even finished their conversation. At least she would be here when Elijah woke. Maddy hoped that Esther hadn't messed him up too bad.

Moments later, Klaus was there. He laid Elijah gently on the sofa in the courtyard before rushing to Maddy, grabbing her face and tilting her head back slightly to examine the bruising on her neck.

"When I get my hands on him," sneered Klaus, "I will force Papa Tunde's blade into him... allow it to torment him... and then, I will kill him all over again."