Chapter 13

Katherine was nowhere to be found.

Maddy could honestly care less. But it did worry her that Klaus had gotten to her so soon. It likely meant that he already knew where they were, which wasn't comforting at all.

"You really think Bonnie can take on Klaus?" asked Damon while he and his siblings waited outside for Elena to finish signing the deed.

Stefan shrugged. "She said she could channel enough witch's power to kill him. Elijah thought that would work and he was an Original, so..."

"If we can find Klaus, we could take him down," said Maddy. "Unfortunately, tracking him through Elijah's phone is gonna be impossible, and without something that belongs to him, Bonnie can't pinpoint where he's residing. I'm worried. I'm not sure if she's strong enough. I want to believe her, but..."

Damon pursed his lips. "Do you think he killed her?"

"Katherine?" asked Stefan. "Probably."

"She deserved it," said Maddy. "Maybe not when it first happened but after centuries of betrayal... I'll sleep like a baby if we get confirmation that she's dead."

They looked up as the door opened. Elena thanked the lawyer, letting him get back to his car. She turned to walk back inside, and the three Salvatores followed, but found they couldn't make it past the threshold anymore.

"I'm sorry," said Elena sheepishly. "I completely forgot." She gazed at her boyfriend lovingly. "Stefan. Would you like to come inside my house?"

He smiled. "I would love to. Thank you."

"Maddy?" asked Elena, extending her hand to her. "Come in."

Maddy grinned when Elena pulled her inside, twirling her. "Ooh, I think I like the new landlord."

The three looked at Damon, who was still waiting outside. "What are we, twelve?" he asked.

"One of us is," said Elena. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

"No."

"Seriously, Damon. My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, Elena. Sure."

"Then please, come in." He walked in, annoyed by the smug looks Stefan and Maddy were sending his way. "Shut up."

Bonnie entered from the other room, handing Elena her jacket. "Wait," said Stefan, "where are you going?"

"School," said Elena. "Coming?"

"Yeah, let me get my bag," said Stefan, holding back a retort once Maddy narrowed her eyes at him, warning him not to try and force her to stay.

"I hate this," said Damon bluntly once they were gone. "But you're obviously enjoying it."

"Yes I am," said Maddy. "I heard them saying that they're having their Decade Dance tonight? I think the theme is the Sixties. Are you going?"

"Hell no," said Damon. "Are you?"

"Nah." Her phone buzzed, and she groaned. "Ugh. Alaric wants me to chaperone. I'd rather die."

"That's for being a smug little shit when Elena didn't want to let me in," said Damon, pumping his fist in the air, elated with her misery.

She figured the dance would be boring. But when Elena, Stefan, and Bonnie got back from school, they learned that Klaus had made his first move by compelling a girl at the high school to tell Elena that he'd be at the dance that night.