Chapter 25

Maddy wasn't sure how to stop Klaus from going on a rampage.

She almost wanted to sit back and wipe her hands clean. Let him do whatever he needed to get Damon to give the coffins back. But that would have ended badly. Someone she cared about would have gotten hurt, which meant that she would have been an accessory to murder or torture or both. No matter what she felt when it came to Damon, allowing her other friends and family members to be hurt wasn't the way to go about it.

Thus, when Klaus shoved the broken phone back into her hands and snarled, "I will beat him until his organs spill out of his mouth," she quickly jumped up, practically having to tackle him to keep him from storming out.

"Wait!" she cried. "As creative as that is, don't. Please, Nik, please. Let me talk to him first. Stefan and I might be able to get through to him."

Klaus scoffed. "No offense, love, but considering how much your brother despises you solely for wishing to be with me, I highly doubt that he will do what you wish him to simply because you ask nicely."

"And what will you do instead?" she demanded. "You'll beat him until he tells you?"

"What do you suggest I do?" Klaus asked sharply. "Sit about, allow him to parade around with my family? I will not be sending the hybrids away!"

"I'm not asking you to send them away, I'm asking you to give me a chance to speak to Damon and potentially get your family back without the need for excessive violence. If anyone's going to hurt him physically, it's going to be me."

Klaus heaved a harsh sigh. "If he were to undagger them..."

"He would be an idiot to undagger them. He only knows Elijah and Rebekah and I highly doubt they'd side with him, no matter how bitter they are about what you did. Finn and Kol, he's never met, it's too much of a risk. Besides, what's with the coffin that won't open, huh?"

He looked away. "Nothing you need to be concerned about."

"I can't advocate for you if you aren't honest with me."

Klaus scoffed, though it was shaky, as if he was nervous. "The last time I was honest with you, it resulted in you being tortured by my younger sister! I'd rather not reveal that which will only place you in a more vulnerable position."

"What's in the coffin, Nik? Please tell me."

"It doesn't matter. I cannot open it. I've never been able to."

"So you don't know either."

"I know very well what's in it. It's why I still have it in my possession."

"Please tell me, Nik."

Klaus turned away from her. "Quit casting me those bloody puppy eyes, Madeleine."

She moved to stand in front of him, continuing with her pleading glance. "Please?"

"As polite as you're being, I won't grant you the knowledge you seek."

"I'll just have to find out the hard way. But I will find out. You know that."

He caught her arm before she could leave. "You'll only get hurt. I would never forgive myself if I allowed you to be hurt. This is a danger to you and all your little friends. Do not try to open that coffin."

"I have to go either way," she said, moving his hand off of hers. "I need to talk to Damon."

"Perhaps you'd be interested in a different task instead? You could even invite some of your friends to help you with it."

"Everyone's busy. They all have jobs and school. What's this task?"

"The new house I acquired. I'm having some renovations done on the lower levels, however, the upper levels have been inspected and are ready to be prepared. All the rooms have beds and furniture, but no decorations. No bedsheets. No touch of a home. I was wondering if you might like to pick a room for me, one for yourself, decorate them to your liking, then do the same to the rest of the rooms so that they are all uniform?"