Chapter 5

They split up once they got to the Lockwood Mansion.

Damon and Jeremy went off in one direction, while Maddy went in another. They weren't sure where Stefan was, but one of them was bound to find him.

Maddy got to him first.

"Hi there," she said, popping up behind him while he was in the middle of a conversation with Bonnie Bennett. "We need to talk."

"Yeah, we do," said Stefan, turning to face her. "Where's Damon? There's something he needs to hear."

"Follow me," said Maddy, though she didn't really let Stefan follow her. She practically dragged him closer to the house where she could hear Damon talking to Elena. They found their elder brother exiting, and quickly pulled him over to the forest.

"Saw Mason already," said Stefan. "He was shocked that I was still in one piece. Then, get this, Bonnie accidentally bumps into him, and she tells me that she saw a vision of Mason and Elena kissing. Which can only mean..."

Damon groaned. "Ugh, Katherine's with Mason Lockwood?"

"Oh, crap," said Maddy. "That means she's his backup."

"We missed it," said Stefan. "He got into town right after she did. It makes perfect sense."

"I know, but Mason Lockwood?" said Damon. "Werewolf thing aside, the guy is a surfer. She's got to be using him. She has to be."

"He's not ugly," said Maddy. "But he's probably just another victim."

Stefan furrowed his brows. "Why would Katherine be using him, though?"

Damon answered, "Mason Lockwood's looking for a moonstone that allegedly can break the full moon werewolf curse. Maybe Katherine wants it as well."

"I'm guessing she wants it as some sort of leverage," said Maddy. "She has a daylight ring, and she's a loner, she doesn't have any desire to break the curse. There's no way she cares about Mason enough to be doing it for him. My guess is she needs a favor from a witch."

"That's the beauty of Katherine," muttered Damon. "She's always up to something."

"So, how are we gonna find this moonstone?" asked Stefan.

"Jeremy can get it," said Maddy. "He learned about it from Tyler."

Stefan stared at them incredulously, smacking each of them in the arm. "Why would you involve Jeremy?"

"Hey!" said Maddy defensively. "He's the one that showed up at our house telling us what he knew."

Stefan ignored them, beginning to walk away. Damon called after him, "He was playing Indiana Jones, Stef, he involved himself!"

"Stefan!" said Maddy loudly before he could get too far. "Get over here!"

He turned on his heels. "Why?"

"So we can all go together to spy on them!" she hissed. "Jeremy will be approaching Tyler any second now."

The youngest Salvatore reluctantly moved back toward his siblings, who walked over to where a large canopy had been set up to help with the preparations. They could see Jeremy was just walking up to Tyler, who had been with Matt.

"What did it say?" asked Tyler when Jeremy got him alone.

"Well," said Jeremy, "it turns out that it's part of this Aztec legend but I want to make sure it's the same kind of stone. You think I could check it out again?"

"Nope," said Tyler. "I gave it to my uncle."

Jeremy looked alarmed. "Why did you do that?"

"Because I'm done with legends and curses. I don't want anything to do with it, okay?"