Chapter 73

Maddy tried to plan ahead.

Before Aurora even started to question her, she let her eyes drift around casually, examining what was around her. One thing was for sure— she knew this building better than Aurora did. She'd know where to find weapons and where she could potentially gain an advantage.

However, she knew that she was at a disadvantage in many areas. And she could not ignore that. Aurora was far older than her. Which meant she was stronger, faster, and much more experienced. Potentially even smarter as well.

Maddy had to force herself to be optimistic, even though by default she leaned more toward the pessimistic side in situations like this. She had to acknowledge her own strengths as well, otherwise, she'd get into a terrible mindset and wouldn't survive this.

She'd been through a lot, as well. She'd been training constantly for as long as she could remember. Ever since she turned she'd made a point to learn to fight and she had a feeling that she was more fresh than Aurora in that. She didn't know where Tristan had had her contained, but she had a feeling that Aurora hadn't sparred with anyone in awhile. Maddy could potentially gain the upper hand there.

Not to mention she'd fought all sorts of opponents before. She'd sparred with Klaus's hybrids back when they lived in the mansion in Mystic Falls. They were tough opponents, and as Tyler Lockwood liked to say, 'Young hybrid beats old vampire every time.' Which, of course, was likely not true in every single instant but could actually be true in many. She doubted Aurora had never fought a hybrid. One point for Maddy.

She'd also had to fight Alaric, back when he'd been an Enhanced Original hell-bent on killing Klaus and his siblings. She'd fought many other vampires of all ages, including Katherine and Marcel, who'd recently defeated a vampire not much younger than Aurora by being clever. And on top of all that, she'd nearly beaten Sage at one point, back when Alaric had killed Finn without meaning to, and Sage had tried to hurt Maddy for it. Despite Sage being 900 years old, Maddy had fought hard enough to escape with her life.

Not to mention all that she'd had to endure. Certainly Aurora had had her share of trauma. But Maddy had to focus on her own for a moment to remind herself of everything she'd overcome. How much stronger she was now because of what she'd suffered.

The loss of her mother, essentially twice.

An abusive father.

The torment of being trapped with Dr. Whitmore for five years.

Damon, treating her like crap for being in love with Klaus.

Rebekah kidnapping and torturing her for the secret she kept.

Having had to watch Klaus die and having thought she lost Elena and Alaric, too, which left her nearly shutting her humanity off.

Being powerless as Finn and Kol were killed and dealing with the backlash.

Readjusting to her entire life being flipped upside down when she became human again.

Nearly dying at the hands of Mikael.

Literally dying after giving birth to Hope after Dahlia ripped her out of her body.

Having to relearn to be a vampire.

Honestly, there were likely things she was forgetting. But it certainly was enough to make her stand a bit taller as Aurora started to speak.

"Let's get started, shall we?" said Aurora sweetly. "I wish to hear more about you, starting with how you feel about Nik. And do bear in mind— I'm a stickler for honesty."

Maddy wasn't sure what other answer Aurora expected from her. "I love him. He's my everything. Before him, I didn't know I could feel something so strong for one person. I didn't know what passion was like or how wonderful a relationship could truly be. He makes me incredibly happy. There's no one else I'd rather spend my life with."