Chapter 23

A part of her wished she'd gone with Klaus.

Her house wasn't somewhere that she felt wanted. Though Stefan was respectful, albeit a bit tense in her presence, Damon was making it very hard for her to feel comfortable.

Katherine was obviously not going to risk telling him about what Maddy and Klaus had done. She knew Maddy would have Klaus going after her faster than she could blink.

But Damon obviously knew something was up, considering how Katherine wasn't responding to him, and how Daniel showed up the next day saying he would be living with them.

"No, no, no," said Damon angrily. "First Rebekah, now you? Klaus couldn't compel you two a house?"

"He wants me to be near Madeleine," said Daniel. "To protect her, and Elena."

"I don't give a damn. You're not living here."

"But Klaus said—"

"I don't care what Klaus said!" Damon spat hotly. "We're not taking in another one of Klaus's creepy extended family members!"

His gaze moved to Maddy, who entered the room. Immediately, Daniel barged right in. "Which room is mine?" he asked.

She didn't even know what to say. And Damon wasn't going to let her say anything.

"What the hell is this, huh, Madeleine?" he asked. "Tell your boyfriend's pet and your sister-in-law to get the hell out of here!"

Maddy glared at him. "Tell them yourself, once Rebekah gets back from school. You obviously hate me so much now that the only thing stopping you from kicking me out is Stefan."

"Stefan's preoccupied with what he's going to wear to his first day of his fiftieth or whatever first day of senior year. He doesn't get an opinion. You want me to kick you out? I'll kick you out, Madeleine."

"Hey," said Daniel defensively. "Don't talk to her like that."

"Shut your mouth," snapped Damon. "You don't get an opinion, you're just the Original family pet."

"Damon," said Maddy sharply. "He doesn't have anywhere else to go, he won't hurt anyone, Klaus already—"

"Yeah, yeah, I know your boyfriend thinks he gets to give orders, but he doesn't. Where did you go last night, huh? Probably right to bed with him to celebrate that he can make hybrids. Am I right?"

"You don't get to judge," she sneered. "I can do whatever I want with my life."

"Yeah, well, do it where you're not putting us in danger!"

"Are you delusional? Thanks to me, we're all still alive right now. Klaus cares enough about me to listen to what I have to say and I was able to stop him from hurting everyone."

"No, no, we all know he's not listening to what you have to say, he's just doing it because otherwise he risks losing his personal sl—"

Maddy slapped him so hard that he flew into the cabinet, breaking the door off and shattering glass all around him. "How dare you?!" she said, angry tears burning in her eyes, ignoring the fact that Stefan had rushed into the room. "How dare you imply I'm some slut for him? God, Damon, I've tried to explain and you're just so hateful that you can't see even a little bit of good in this, when all I've done for the past century is see good in you where others thought there was none! I've let you back into my life even though you've done all sorts of awful things. Stefan and I never should have even looked at you after you killed Gail and the baby but we did! We did and you don't realize how hard that was. I know Klaus isn't perfect, I know what he's done, but I can't change the past. Just like I can't change what we've all done. We are all monsters in some way so excuse me for trying to be happy, for once, instead of cleaning up after you just like I always have! Even Elena can understand that my relationship with Klaus can help us all."