Chapter 19

Maddy did not pass out.

She couldn't, even if she felt like she was going to. She was a vampire, and even though she was overwhelmed, it was no cause for her to go unconscious. Besides, there were important matters to address. Like the reason why they were in Chicago to begin with.

Rebekah didn't have what they needed to contact the Original witch. They'd have to wait until the next day, when Gloria's bar was open again, which meant retiring for the night and heading out in the morning.

They'd gone to stay at a nearby hotel, each getting their own room. It seemed Klaus trusted that no one would try to run off on their own, because no one had been locked in, and the hybrid certainly wasn't patrolling the halls.

Maddy had been grateful for solitude. In most instances, she hated being alone more than anything. But right now, it was what she needed. Some part of her would have preferred to go to Stefan, curling up next to him and crying her eyes out while he listened to her blubbering about how she felt. However, Stefan didn't care enough at the moment. There was no one she could turn to.

She supposed she could have called Damon, Alaric, or Elena now that she was awake again. But that felt like a dumb idea. Klaus would get angry, not to mention he might find out that Elena was still alive, which was likely the reason he was failing to make hybrids.

Thus, Maddy found refuge in the luxurious hotel bathroom. The instant she turned on the shower, she started to sob.

She didn't know what to feel. Or why she was like this in the first place.

It felt like a part of her had been ripped out, then forced back into place. There was relief and happiness but also indescribable rage. How could Klaus have done that? How could he have made her forget their time together? If he had given her a choice, what would she have decided?

More and more memories were worming their way into her conscious mind. Reminding her of every touch, every kiss, every conversation between the two of them. Maddy thought she'd never quite known passion, but these memories were proving her very, very wrong.

"Nik, stop it," she groaned one evening at the bar. "We've been in here long enough. Other people— human people— might need to use the bathroom."

He didn't emerge from under her flapper dress, and she just sighed, gripping onto the sink and holding herself up. "This is so wrong, we shouldn't be... doing this..."

"I don't care," he murmured, and she barely heard him as her mind went fuzzy, her legs trembling as he held on, keeping her upright.

"Nik—"

"Shh, love. Relax. I want you to fall apart completely."

Maddy felt her skin starting to burn. Until now, she hadn't been able to remember herself doing such dirty things. Saying such dirty things. Oh, the things that Klaus had made her say... she would have died instantly if anyone had ever heard her.

"Did you ever want kids?" she'd asked him once, when they were dancing in her and Stefan's apartment, one night that her brother wasn't there. "When you were human, I mean."

"I imagined myself as a father," murmured Klaus in her ear. "I suppose it made sense at the time, given that was what my duty essentially was. Marry, produce strong offspring, be valiant in battle. Those fantasies quickly faded when I recalled what my father was like. I knew I'd be just as awful as he."

"I don't think we're destined to be just like our parents. We're not required to parent our children the way ours did us. We may come from them but we're our own people. We have a certain experience that came from them, but we can choose to be different. Otherwise, I'd be dead. My mother is, so..." she noticed he tensed. "It's okay to laugh, if you find it funny. I try to cope with humor."