Chapter 83

Breakfast was chaotic.

There were many mouths to feed, and despite all the adults in the house, no one seemed to be able to figure out the best system to get this done efficiently.

Elijah had tried to wake up early to cook for everyone, but hadn't known where anything in the house was, and had gone to get his brother, who had been peacefully asleep with his arms around Maddy and Hope.

In the time it took for Klaus to get up and go down to show him where everything was, they found Rebekah already getting started on some pancakes, only to find out that the stove needed to be lit manually with a lighter, which explained why none of the pancakes were cooking.

With all the noise they made in surprise, more and more people flooded into the kitchen and dining room, until it grew so chaotic that Maddy had to yell for them all to sit down and make a list of what they wanted to eat so she could delegate responsibilities.

Thus, Elijah was assigned to pour cereal with milk, Rebekah made pancakes, Klaus made waffles, Bonnie made eggs, Kol cooked some sausages, and Elena shuffled around blood bags and other drinks while Maddy passed plates and utensils to everyone.

"Hey, work faster, Cinderella," teased Damon when Maddy forgot to hand him a spoon.

"Why don't you actually help?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I'm busy being the favorite uncle!" he said, gesturing toward Anita and Hope, who were finding nail polish. "I'm getting a makeover, I can't be disturbed."

"You are hilarious," said Maddy sarcastically. "Enzo, can you—?"

He took the plates. "You focus on the utensils," he said, before making a face at Damon. "I'm next, don't let Stefan go after you."

"Excuse me," said Stefan, who had already had his turn, "If I want a second coat after Damon, I get priority." He lowered his voice, "Worst nail experience of my life, they're taking forever."

Maddy rolled her eyes. "They've never done this before, they're just excited with everyone being here."

"That explains why they're not too good at it," said Damon, seeing that there were many clumps on Stefan's nail. "Either that or they haven't had good customers yet." He winked at Stefan, who just rolled his eyes.

After managing to get everyone fed, a gigantic pile of dishes was left in the sink for the owners of the house. While everyone else got to middle in the living room, Maddy was left with dish duty.

"That was a nightmare," said Klaus, coming to lean against Maddy after he finished cleaning the waffle maker. "I have never made so many waffles in my life."

"Would you have preferred to pass out plates and utensils?" she asked, tilting her head back to let him kiss her before going back to washing the dishes. "I figured you'd prefer that to the other tasks."

"Oh, certainly. Shuffling plates and cooking other items isn't as easy as placing batter in a waffle maker and waiting for it to let me know it is ready. Besides, I had the same two customers." He glanced at where Anita and Hope were now smearing eyeshadow onto Rebekah's face. "I had no idea two little girls could eat so many waffles."

"And they had pancakes, too," said Maddy. "Who knew running a beauty salon could make someone so hungry? Whose makeup is that, anyway?"

"Yours."

"Ah, shit." She then frowned. "Hope said she had a nightmare. Did she tell you what it was about?"

"No. I inquired about it, and she said it was alright, she was not scared anymore. I figured it best to let her sleep."