Chapter 7

"You know in Italy and France children can have a little wine with their dinner." Dale said to mom.
"Yeah okay and when Carl and Lizzie are in Italy or France they can have some then." mom said and I could tell she was only just a little sober.
"What could go wrong, come on come on!" Dad yelled.
Mom finally gave in and poured some wine in mine and Carl's cups.
I watched Carl take a sip and out the cup back on the table in disgust.
I try it.
This is delicious.
"Oh my god this is delicious!" I exclaim and they all clap. I stand up from my chair and bow.

"Stick to soda pop guys." Shane said handing me and Carl a can.
"Not you Glenn." Daryl slurs pointing to Glenn.
"What?" Glenn asks as he takes a sip.
"Little man I want to see how red your face can get." Daryl said as Glenn rolled his eyes. Everyone laughed as Dad looked over to Dr.Jenner who was sitting in the corner not smiling. He clung his knife to his glass and stood up. "it seems to me that we haven't thanked our host properly." Dad said as he stumbled a little.
"He's more than just a host." T-Dog said as he raised his glass. Everyone raised there glasses to Jenner as Daryl yelled, "BOOH YAH!"
"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here doc? All the other doctors. They are supposed to be figuring out what happened. Where the hell are they?" Shane asked breaking the laughter.
"We're celebrating Shane, no need to do this now." I said sitting back down.
"Whoa now wait a sec, this is why your here right? This was your move. We were supposed to find all the answers, but eh, we found him" Shane said as he pointed towards Jenner.
"We found one man, why?" Shane continued.
"Well when things got bad, a lot of people just left. Went off to be with there families, And when things got worse, when the military got overrun, the rest bolted." Jenner explained sadly.
"Every last one?" Shane asked smiling.
"No. Many couldn't face walking out that door, they 'opted out'. There was a rash of suicides." Jenner trailed off.
"That was a bad time." he mumbled.
"You didn't leave? Why?" Andrea asked, joining into the conversation.

"I just kept working, hoping to do some good." Jenner answered back.
"Dude you are such a buzzkill man." Glenn said as we wrapped up the conversation.