Chapter 38

I woke up early that morning only to find all suitable adults were already loading up bodies to get ready to burn.

I got out of bed and got up Lexi.

I combed her hair real quick and we walked out.

Carl was sitting on the steps but I didn't see mom or Beth.

Carl was cleaning his gun and I walked over to Hershel's room.

"Morning Hershel, how are you feeling today?" I asked him.

"Pretty good I guess but I'm tired of looking at the top of this bed." he said. I feel him. One time when I broke my leg I had to lay in bed for like 2 weeks.

"Well you need your rest. You had a close call." I said and he nodded.
"Hey Lexi." He smiled And Lexi walked over to him.

"Lexi I'll be downstairs come to me if you need." she nodded and stayed with Hershel.

I walked out and sat next to Carl.

"Hi." I said as I sat down.

"Hey." he mumbled fidgeting with the gun in his hand.
I looked up to see Beth and Mom walk in with crutches.

I stood up and followed them into Hershel's room.

"Lexi come here." I said and she came to me.
They helped Hershel up and he was soon standing again with the help of his new crutches.

Alexis clapped and I smiled.

"Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth said as he steadied himself.

"What else am I going to do?" He answered.

He was doing pretty good he walked to the end of the room.

"That's a good start. Wanna take a rest?" Mom asked.
"Rest? Let's go for a little stroll." Hershel said. It was hard at first for him to get down the stairs but he got the hang of it.

"They cleared all these bodies it's starting to look like a home." Hershel said as he walked out.

"Yeah well, watch your step. The last thing we need is you falling." mom said and I nodded.
"Lexi come on." I said grabbing her hand

We all stood still as everyone turned too look at us. I heard Glenn scream encouragement but he attracted some walkers outside the fence.

I laughed.

"You ready to race?" Carl asked Hershel.
I laughed.

"Give me another day, Carl, I'll take ya on." He replied.

I heard the moans.
"Walkers!" I said as I turned too see them.

I ran up a little and shot as many as I could.

"Hershel, Lizzie, Lexi over here!" Someone called. There was a little gated area where I knew we would be safe.
I pulled Lexi and kept watch for Hershel.

When we got into the gated area I saw everyone run like crazy and Carl and Mom run with Maggie.