Chapter 23

The sun was beginning to set and dad called us inside to discuss Randell's fate.

"So how we going to do this?" Dad asked after a moment of silence.
"We just take a vote?" Glenn suggested.
"Does it have to be anonymous?" Andrea asked as everyone looked around curiously.
"How about majority rules?" Mom suggested.

"Well let's just- lets just see where everybody stands. Then we can talk through the options." Dad said and no one had any objections.
"Well the way I see it, there's only one way to move forward." Shane said and I shook my head.
"Killing him, right? Why even bother to take a vote it's clear which way the wind is blowing." Dale said.
"Well if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know." dad said.
"Well I can tell you it's a small group maybe just me, Lizzie and Glenn." Dale said and I saw all eyes move towards me.

"Man why is she even here? I think it's funny how she gets a say. She's only like 6." Shane blurted out. Dad shushed him.
"I'm not 6 dumbass I'm almost 17 and I think I'm a little bit of a more candidate since I stand up for what I believe in against you no matter what the hell you call me." I said. Shane immediately shut up.

"Hmm, well now we know that Shane can be rendered speechless by a 'six year old'," I said with attitude.
Shane started to argue but mom and dad quickly and happily told him to shut up.

"Look, I think your pretty much right about everything, all the time but this--" Glenn started.
"They've got you scared." Dale said loudly.
"He's not one of us. And we've lost to many people already." Glenn finished.
He had a small point but I stuck with what I believed in.
Dale went around the room and asked everyone if they agree to killing him. Everyone did.
Then they started planning on how to do it.
"Whoa, your all acting like it's already decided." I say interrupting them all.

"This kid is a threat and will end up killing us. You wanna be involved then we aren't gonna sugarcoat anything for you anymore." Shane said to me I snickered.
"That's what I had been hoping for. I don't want to be treated like a kid anymore so whatever you feel, just say it.
I know there aren't any rainbows and unicorns in this world. I've been through hell. So if your savage enough to kill this boy because of a crime that he may never even attempted then I might just have to fend for myself because I don't feel very comfortable living with murderers." I said and everyone looked at me.

"We've been going around in circles all day." T said ignoring me.
I huffed in anger as they conversed for a while.
Dale started yelling and everyone was arguing.

"Is there anyone else who is going to stand by me?!" Dale asked and there was silence.
I laughed and headed towards the door.
"Whatever you can live with that guilt on your hands. I'm done!" I yelled running out of the room.
"He's right. We should try and find another way." Andrea said and I turned with the door open. I saw my mom, Dad and Shane looking at me angrily but I don't care.
"Anybody else." Dad asked and there was silence.

I slammed the door and walked outside.
I heard the screen door open and shut again.
I knew someone had walked out.
I sat down on the porch and Dale sat down beside me.
He stared at the sky for a while then got up to walk around.
I sat facing the screen door watching my family discuss how they are going to MURDUR a maybe or maybe not innocent person.
That's when I heard screaming.
I turned over to see Dale with a walker on him.
I quickly ran and killed the walker with my knife.
I moved the walker to see Dale with a gaping hole in his stomach.