14. As If Nothing Happened

Today was that day

Today was that day. Everyone knew about the next day you'd have to face that something after doing something embarrassing.

In my case, today was the day I was facing Mercer and not in the terms of confrontation. No, Mr. Finsley is having us work on the group project today meaning I will be forced to talk to Mercer sooner rather than later.

One side of me was claiming I was making a bigger deal of it than it actually is and the other side of me is telling me to be cautious as much as I can.

The closer I made it to Mr. Finsley's classroom, the slower my feet began to move.

I just didn't want to face the inevitable so soon.

"You okay, Gen?" Carson's soft voice fills my ears.

Clearing my throat, I nod. "Yes," I smile. "Just a little tired."

He frowns slightly, a guilty look on his face. "I didn't keep you too late did I? I'm sorry if I did."

My smile grew at the concerning look on his face. He was so charming and his concern was pulling at my heart. Carson and I looked over the photos after Skylar's club. We went to the library to use one of the computers and he showed me what he had so far on his flash drive.

All I can say is that Carson had a great eye when it came to capturing the perfect picture. Talking to him was easy and I was so wrapped up in our conversation that I didn't realize the time. I almost went past the time of my given curfew and I had to rush home.

"No, you didn't."

"Good," He sighs, shifting on his feet. "Shall we get to class?" He gestures with his free hand.

I walked in front of him and we had a small talk on our way. Passing the threshold of the classroom door, I nearly hesitate at the sight of Mercer.

There he was sitting at his desk, looking down at his phone. The familiar nonchalant look on his handsome face made it hard to figure out what he was thinking.

"Text you later?" Carson smiles.

I nod my response and we parted ways to go to our desks.

My heart was thumping so hard I'd think it would burst out of my chest. It only got faster with every step I take towards my desk. The desk that was right in front of Mercer. Right in front of the bully. Right in front of the guy that confronted me in the locker room. Right in front of the guy that was looking at me differently than he normally does.