16. Tension

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked Jules, shifting my body to face her on her bed

I was currently in her room. After the whole incident downstairs and Mercer leaving to go change, I decided to wander about the enormous house for Jules's room.

Eventually, I found it and she looked as if she had a long cry. Her books were scattered over her bed and written papers. She was doing some kind of school work and Mercer and his friends decided to be rude and make so much noise.

I get it's a Friday night but not everyone wants to go out or do something fun. Some people want to get more studying done and I can see Jules was one of them. But there was something more.

Jules sighs, her hands in her hair while looking down at the floor where her feet dangled over. "It's just been a crazy week and I have this test that I can't fail. I told both Adrian and Mercer that I need this weekend since dad went on a business trip for the weekend and mom is out like always." She shakes her head but not before muttering, "As usual."

The relationship these siblings had so far with their parents made me curious but I forced the questions aside. It was neither my business nor right to ask her about them. All I know so far is that it's complicated.

The day Mercer said those words and it didn't take a genius to know what he was insinuating and that was the fact that his father was out cheating with his assistant and the look on his mother's face, hurt and in internal pain.

So, I took that and assumed that their parents are married but could be on the rocks.

"Well," I placed a supporting hand on her shoulder. "You know if you need any help you can ask me."

A smile forms on her lips. "How are you in honors calculus?"

Oof, Calculus. I'd say one of the most challenging math classes I took. I swear, sometimes I think people are changing math to set us up for failure.

"A little challenging but I'm sure I can solve some problems."

"Hopefully Mercer doesn't hog you. I need to pass this test. My grade is horrible."