23. Touch

"Alright, class," Mr

"Alright, class," Mr. Finsley waves towards the smart board on the wall in front of the class. "The rest of the class time is yours to work on your projects. Presentations are Friday and I expect everyone to use their time wisely."

Everyone gets up and instantly dives into their own worlds with their partners or groups.

"Come on, Red." Mercer's voice meets my ears. "This project isn't going to do itself."

Just as I roll my eyes and go to turn my body towards him, the classroom door suddenly opens and in walks Sophia.

"Again, Miss Steele?" Mr. Finsley tsked, a serious look in his eye.

"I-I'm sorry." Her voice was hoarse and full of exhaustion. "I have a pass this time." She quickly searches for her pass.

Sophia finds the yellow note, handing it to Mr. Finsely. She clears her throat, pushing a strand of loose hair behind her ear. That's when I noticed she wasn't dressed in her usual clothing. Sophia was a girl that was comfortable with her body but instead of her tight shorts or pants and tanks, she was in sweats.

Though Sophia and I just talk about soccer practice, coach, and games, I could still see that something was bothering her. It must have been something really bad and Mr. Finsley seemed to have noticed too because of the serious look he was giving her changes.

My mind began to wonder at the soft look he gave her. I'm not sure if it was me or not but I noticed the way his hands close around the note and tosses the yellow ball of paper on his desk.

"Continue working on your project." He murmurs and she nods, turning on her heels to walk but my eyes widen at the small action that crossed between them.

The back of his hand brushed against hers swiftly.

What was that?

"Red?"

I turned, Mercer giving me a pointed look. Clearing my throat, I forced my curious mind away and quickly made the decision to stay out of that situation. It was none of my business and I didn't know the story.