40. Not So Normal Thanksgiving

To say my stay here at my grandparents couldn't get any more awkward would be an understatement

To say my stay here at my grandparents couldn't get any more awkward would be an understatement. First, my parents were already putting up a front with a perfect marriage in front of our grandparents and now that he was here, things couldn't get any worse.

Dinner was not as warm as it should be amongst a normal family. But what family was ever normal?

The clicking sounds of silverware hitting the plate was the only sound in the tense silence. A silence my grandparents were unaware of having tension.

"How's your father doing, Vince?" My grandmother questions and from the corner of my eye, I could see my father's eyes narrowed at his plate, trying to keep himself from showing any kind of emotion. To show that he was indeed affected by Vince's presence.

It was a shock but then again I have to remember that our grandparents didn't know the truth about our parents' marriage and that he was the biggest cause of their fallout.

My mother keeps her focus on her plate but I knew better. She wanted a drink. Hell, I wanted one too with this tension that was aware of only six people out of eight in the room. I could feel Jules's eyes, filled with worry, as she looked around.

"Retirement is doing well for the old man." Vince responds, a smile on his face.

Grandma smiles. "That's great." She nods, digging into some of her food. "So, what about you? How is everything going with the Raiders?"

"Working on new plays to better the season." He explains, going further into details about trying to go for the championships.

"You know, Mercer just finished his season not too long ago." Grandpa speaks up, causing me to tense.

If I was being honest, I didn't want to talk during dinner but I guess I had no choice when cousin Vince decided to look my way with a smile that almost looked borderline sincere.

"You know, I got some connections. I can get a couple of scouts. Just tell me the schools you might be interested in and I can have a couple of guys that work in the-"