73. Always There For You

One hour and forty minutes before

"Gen, calm down," Jules tried as I watched them pull Mercer away in handcuffs.

Tears roll down my face as I shook my head rapidly. I was so lost in trying to figure out a way to get Mercer out of this when another officer pulls Carson away in handcuffs.

Carson looks in my direction, a wicked smile on his lips as he walks by.

"You bastard!" I shout, my attempt to run up to him and give him the well deserve a slap. He deserved more for what he tried to do to me.

"No, Gen," Jules cries, holding onto my arm.

I was livid. This night was supposed to be a great night. I was supposed to be happy and spend my prom with my boyfriend and our friends. It was all going right until Carson decided to make a bold move and kidnap me after attempting to kill Skylar.

"They can't just take him," Anguish laced my tone as I watched the patrol car Mercer was in drive off.

The way the officer didn't try to listen and just read him his rights meant that he didn't really care about anything other than finding someone to blame. I wiped at the tears as I tried to think of anything I could do to help him.

I just never understood why people with authority had that kind of power. They didn't deserve it. Especially when they weren't doing the right thing.

"We'll figure it out," Ronan says and though his words make an effort, it does very little to make me settle.

The more I thought about people in power for justice, someone came to mind and if I was being honest, I didn't want to call him. But if it was any kind of source that can help Mercer out, I'll gladly place everything aside and make the call.

I looked over to Jules and Ronan. "Do either one of you have a phone?"

Jules pulls out her phone, her stare holding a great amount of concern. My fingers moved quickly on the number pad and I held the phone to my ear. A few rings in and the familiar deep voice fills my ear.

"Hello?"

"Dad," I sigh, closing my eyes tightly. "It's Gen."

⋄ ✵ ⋄

I managed to change into something different. A pair of sweats and one of Mercer's long-sleeved shirts that I always stole from him. I smiled when I remembered the first time I did it and he caught me.

He acted as if he really cared that I stole his shirt but he was just teasing me, actually loving the fact that I was in his clothes. Besides, they were so comfortable and smelt like him.