64. New Years

Walking down the stairs, I paused when I found my mother sitting on the couch just in front of the Christmas tree

Walking down the stairs, I paused when I found my mother sitting on the couch just in front of the Christmas tree. Even though our awkward family Christmas has been over a few days, the plain tree still stood tall.

"Mercer," She gives me a tight smile, motioning me over to the couch across from her. "Please, sit down. I'd like to talk to you."

More footsteps echoed behind me and I saw my sister behind me in an instant. Her curious gaze transformed into troublesome as she looked at our mother. The hesitancy in her eyes was clear as glass. My mother's eyes held much sadness but her confidence in whatever she had to say was promising to her.

"Jules-"

"I'm heading out," Jules' says, interrupting our mother. The moment she turns on her heels, ignoring our mother's pleas, I reached out and grabbed her hand to stop her.

She freezes and halts, her shoulders were stiff as she looks straight ahead at the door. I knew without a doubt that she wanted to leave and not face our mother. My little sister was still sensitive about our messed up family. Hurt.

Pulling her hand, I ask her to turn around. "Let her speak," I say. The final decision is yours as to whether or not you wish to continue talking to her."

Jules' sad eyes flicker between mine as she takes in my words, letting them sink in. "I don't want to be told any more lies nor secrets."

"I will be telling you the truth, Jules," Our mother spoke up, gaining our attention. "All I want is to tell you both the truth. My side of how things fell into chaos and ruin. I know you are hesitant and I don't blame anyone but myself."

"And our suppose sperm donor." Adrian blurts out of nowhere, walking around Jules and I with a harsh glare towards our mother. "Also the man that's been seen as our father since we've been born."

"Adrian-" I tried but he ignore me and stepped further into the living room.

"I want to know everything." He sits down on the couch, crossing his arms and never taking his harsh eyes away from our mother.