36. Dubious

I can't believe it was raining today

I can't believe it was raining today. I was really looking forward to having the pep rally outside but now they had to change it last minute.

All the students were being called down by one wing at a time. The chatters of other students were heard outside of the girls' locker room where most of the athletic teams were changing into their uniforms.

Soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and the cheerleaders. It was senior year and they were gathering all the seniors in their particular sports to be represented and shown off to the school being our last year here at Durant High.

"Ten minutes ladies." Coach Daniels calls out.

I stood from my assigned locker and grabbed my jacket. My phone chimes and I grabbed hold of it.

Dad: I will be out late again tonight and make sure to call your mother.

I shut my phone off. To say I wasn't really in the mood to talk to either one of my parents would be understandable to someone out there. I was nearly caught by my dad again but he didn't expect a thing about me sneaking out and my mother was off with her boyfriend as usual.

There are times when I just don't feel comfortable being around them. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for both of them but sometimes, it's hard being around them when all they do is be super invested in each other and not give me an ounce of attention.

What was the point of going over there?

That's why I barely go over there.

I shut off my phone and zipped up my jacket that had my soccer team's name. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Sophia's finger-combing her hair up into a loose bun. She was here but she wasn't at the same time.

Ever since the day Mr. Finsley has been arrested, Sophia's head was not in the right place.

She seemed sad, depressed, exhausted, and if I didn't know any better, furious. She just didn't look like her confident self anymore.

Sighing, I built up enough confidence to walk over to her just as she zipped up her jacket.

"Sophia?"