26. Girl Talk

"I'm not sure, sweetheart

"I'm not sure, sweetheart." My dad gives me an uncertain look.

As soon as I got home, I was lucky to have caught him in time to ask if Jules could come over. He was unsure of allowing some girl he didn't know over while he was out working.

"Please." I muster up my saddest eyes. "It's only for one night and she really needs to vent."

"That serious, huh?" One of his brows raised in question but I knew he wouldn't push beyond that.

"Yes."

A few moments passed before he sighs in defeat. "Alright." I smiled happily and jumped in his arms.

"Thank you."

"Only her, okay. I don't want too many people in y house while I am at work. Understand?"

"I understand."

Now that was established, all I had to do was clean my room and get the house together. I couldn't help but allow myself to compare my house to the Petrov's.

It was huge and I lived a little further out from their luxurious neighborhood. My house wasn't as big as theirs. A little smaller but it was comfortable for me and I wasn't complaining because I had a roof over my head every night.

With that in mind, I thought about the few things that we could eat and while doing so, my mind couldn't help the way it drifted to Mercer.

I won't lie and say I wasn't a tad bit worried because I was.

And deep down, I felt like there was nothing I could do about it. At least right now anyway.

⋄ ✵ ⋄

The was beginning to set letting me know that Saturday was almost at an end. The doorbell rang and I knew it was Jules.

My father had already left for work about an hour ago and he told me he had no idea when he was returning from his office.

I walked to the front door and switched the locks. I opened it and greeted Jules with a smile.

"Hi, Jules."