47. Claimed

I got out of my car, dreading being here at this school

Thanksgiving break was over and it was back to living in the reality of being known as the school's whores when I didn't even do anything wrong.

Locking my car doors, I stood beside my car with my hoodie on as I try my best to think of many ways to be invisible. I scoff at myself. Like that would ever be possible.

I had red locs and everyone knows that I was fooling around with Mercer Petrov, the school's football captain, in the gymnasium under the bleachers.

Maybe I should just go home.

I turned around, placing my hand on the door handle about to open it when I pause. Taking a few breaths, I took a moment to actually think about what I was about to do. No. Don't do it, Gen. You're not a coward. I wasn't going to run from my problems.

Pulling my hand away from the handle, I turn back around and headed inside of the school. The moment I stepped foot into the crowded hallways, all eyes were pinned on me. Majority was filled with curiosity while others looked at me with a judging look.

They don't even know what really happen nor do they know what's going on between Mercer and I.

With my head held high, I continued forward in the direction of my locker. I wasn't going to let anyone force me into a shell and cower away.

What happened, happened and I was moving forward. They should learn how to do so as well.

The mutters and the whispers didn't bother me as much as I thought they would but I was beginning to feel relieved. The fact that I was walking with my head held high, not giving a single care about what the wondering eyes are looking for, has made me smile at myself.

My phone buzzes the moment I did the combination to my locker and opened it. Placing my bag inside, I take a moment to look at the message I just received.

Mercer: I'm so fucking proud of you, baby.

My heart thumps at the sudden words. Mercer's proud of me? What did I even do for him to be so proud of me?