38. Arduous

I stared at my phone, waiting

Never in my life have I worked so hard to fight for a girl.

I wasn't one to send lovey-dovey shit like heart emojis and faces but this was different. Red wasn't talking. She was still hurting and I believe most of that hurt was the fact that today was the day she was supposed to be playing in the semifinals.

My Red loves soccer and I knew that today would be gloomy for her because she didn't get to play in it. Her game was today.

I tried calling her and I got no response. I texted her and ended up with the same result. It wasn't until my fingers went crazy that she finally texted me back.

Red: Please stop.

Me: Talk to me.

I may sound like a wimp but I didn't give a fuck right now. All that mattered was seeing where her head is at this very moment.

The bubbles appeared then disappeared before reappearing again as if she was contemplating what to say.

Red: You're making it very hard to be mad at you, do you know that? Why can't you just leave me alone?

Me: I can't do that, baby. You're hurting.

Her response comes quick.

Red: And whose fault is that?

My jaw clenched. She was not allowing me to comfort her the way I want to. Hell, she doesn't even want me near her.

I understand why she was upset and had her doubts but I thought we were moving past the past and moving forward. Either she was in denial or she was doing this on purpose just to test me.

Fuck, I didn't know. I just wanted to hear her voice.

Me: Not mine.

Red: We shouldn't have done what we've done. It was a mistake.

Me: It was no mistake for me. It's not my fault that you are so fucking tempting.

Bubbles reappear and then disappear. After nearly a minute of waiting, she responds.