63. Early Christmas Exchange

"I know this is all a bit late," Skylar says to Jules and I as we walk around the Burkes Outlet

"I know this is all a bit late," Skylar says to Jules and I as we walk around the Burkes Outlet. "I just don't know what to get my mother."

Christmas break came fast and only makes me realize how close we are to too many things before the end of High school. After New Year, the upcoming holidays, spring break, prom, and finally graduation.

It was moving fast and it was another hit to me that I have yet to tell my father of my plans after graduation.

I look over at Jules and the look on her face was concerning to me. Though it's nearly been two weeks since the night Mercer came to my house and told me his truth, I couldn't help but wonder if things are even slightly put together.

The sad look has been on her face for days and when Skylar somehow managed to get my number from Jules, she decided that we should get out and do something to lift her spirits.

I questioned Mercer about the situation but he gives me simple answers and that's when I know things are far from normal.

Skylar's phone rings and the moment she looks down, an emotion flickers in her eyes before she attempts to slip her phone into her pocket but before she could, Jules catches her.

"Talk to him," She pleads. "He needs you to talk to him."

Watching the interaction between them, I instantly knew who they were talking about.

"I-I just don't know if I can, Jules," She mutters sadly. "We're not in a good place right now and-"

"Please," Jules urges. "At this point, I only care about my brothers, and living in a toxic house like my own is far from easy. It's just too much going on and too much being bottled up. I know Adrian doesn't deserve your help but please...ease his mind by talking to him because he refuses to talk to me or Mercer."

A troubled look crosses Skylar's features as she stared at Jules. With a shaky sigh, she scrolls through her phone and pressed the screen before excusing herself. I turn to Jules and she closes her eyes in pain.