Chapter 4

All three of them were murderous.

Even Maddy had dropped all intentions of being friendly.

"I'm gonna kill him," snarled Damon as he rinsed his mouth out with water.

Stefan was mildly panicked that they were so vengeful, and wrestled Damon into a nearby bench before he could rush after Mason. "Listen to me! Sit— sit!"

"No, we're not listening," said Maddy hotly, though she sank down beside Damon, tapping her foot anxiously on the ground. "I warned him, I was nice, we tried to apologize, and he just did something that could expose all of us, not just Damon. Mason just threw us under the bus, Stefan, we're not going to sit down and play nice. I gave him an out, he didn't take it."

Stefan pursed his lips. "Okay. I don't like it, but... we need to put him down."

"Yes, thank you," said Damon, wiping his mouth. He caught sight of Mason moving into the nearby forest with two large trash bins. "Woods. Trash duty. Come on."

The three siblings moved together, with Damon in the lead and Stefan and Maddy on either side of him. Mason didn't seem to notice they were following him, which struck Maddy as odd, but she made no comment about it. She wanted to eviscerate him, and in her rage, she was blinded to the fact that something was wrong.

They found him alone in a clearing, putting branches into the cans. The three siblings split so that he was surrounded, and unable to go anywhere.

"Hi there, Mason," said Maddy, starting to remove her earrings and the rings on her fingers. "Cute little thing you did down there, giving my brother a mouthful of vervain."

Mason was frozen, as if he hadn't expected them to figure out it was him.

"Don't look so surprised," said Damon lowly. "You knew this was inevitable. Go ahead, run. I'll give you a head start."

Strangely enough, Mason didn't run. He dropped to the ground, and not even a full second later, a shot rang out, and the two younger Salvatores saw Damon had been pierced in the chest, opposite his heart.

They didn't have time to react. Another series of shots, and Maddy and Stefan found themselves on the ground, wheezing and bleeding as the wooden bullets wiggled deeper into their flesh.

"Thank you Mason," Maddy heard the familiar voice of Sheriff Forbes saying. She could hear five sets of footsteps (or was it six?) approaching them.

She whimpered when a needle was shoved into her neck, and she groaned when she felt vervain being injected directly into her bloodstream. Her vision blurred for a moment before everything went dark.

She could feel her body being moved, but she was so nauseous, she couldn't tell where she was being taken. Distorted voices were coming from every angle, and as her body swayed, she grew dizzier and dizzier until it all stopped, and she felt herself being dropped on the ground, which made her cough.

Someone kicked her side. There was a gunshot, and a loud yell from Damon. Another gunshot, and Maddy had to bite back a scream of her own as she felt another bullet piercing her side.

"This is how it's gonna work," said Liz Forbes. "Answer me, and you don't get shot, understand? How many of you are there?"

"Liz, please," Damon begged.

He was yelling just seconds later when she shot him again. Maddy decided she ought to talk. Even if it was pure bullshit.

"Just us three!" she gasped, opening her eyes. It was dark, and she could see three deputies with Liz. They were in some sort of cave. But why were there hooks on the wall, as if to hold something? Caves didn't have that.