Chapter 8

"Are you going to kill me?"

Elijah had pulled her back into the house, pushing her into a nearby chair. "No, I'm not going to kill you," he said, leaning over her and holding onto the armrests so that she couldn't escape. Not that she would have tried. She was paralyzed with fear, wondering how the hell he was alive.

He could see her shaking, and he tutted. "Shh, shh, you don't have to be scared. I give you my word I won't kill you. I need you to do something for me."

He stood up, and started to pace the room. "I sense that you're going to be far more cooperative than your brothers. And yes," he noted the stunned look on her face, "I do know they're your brothers. In fact, in this short time, I've learned all about you, Madeleine Salvatore. Turned in 1864, with your brothers having fallen victim to Katerina. I was rather appalled to learn the details of that."

"How do you know that?" she asked incredulously. "How could you have found out—?"

"I had a few of my associates research the current state of Mystic Falls when Rose contacted me. I heard all about your family. And then, of course, that adorable attempt to asphyxiate me yesterday left me a chance to grab you and see into your mind. You obviously didn't realize it. Us Originals have all sorts of special tricks. One of which is being able to compel other vampires."

She tensed. "That's what you're gonna do to me, isn't it?" she whispered. "You're going to compel me to... to spy for you?"

"Clever girl," he said. "Yes, in fact, I do require a spy that's a bit... closer to the action. And who better than you? The one with personal ties to practically everyone of relevance?"

He leaned over her, looking into her eyes. She tried to close them, but found herself unable to. It was like she had to keep them open, had to find out what he wanted.

"Tell me about Katherine Pierce," he said. "Don't leave anything out."

And so she went on, telling him everything she knew about Katherine, and what they'd had to endure so far.

"... so now she's in the tomb," Maddy finished, "with the moonstone because Damon for some reason thought it best to leave it with her. We're trying to find out what Katherine needs a werewolf, a vampire, and a moonstone for. But we're sidetracked now after yesterday's events. Now we're more concerned about the Originals. Katherine is getting cast into the shadows at this point."

"Good girl," said Elijah. "I think you've earned a reward. I'm certain there's something you want to know. Go ahead, ask, and I'll tell you. After all, you won't be able to reveal anything to your brothers."

"Tell me more about Klaus," she said. "Please."

Elijah's lip twitched. "Klaus is the most feared and hated of the Originals, but those that fear him are desperate for his approval. If word gets out that the doppelgänger exists, there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him and I can't have that."

"So... Klaus doesn't yet know about Elena?"

"No. And I would like to keep it that way, for now. Klaus's obsession has made him paranoid. He's a recluse. He trusts only those in his immediate circle, something I am not a part of anymore."

"I'm assuming Klaus wants to break the Curse of the Sun and the Moon."

Elijah seemed to want to laugh. "Let's say yes to that."

"And do you want to break it?"

"Yes, however, that's not my main goal. I want to kill Klaus."

Maddy frowned. "Why? I would think the Original vampires would all be friends."