Chapter 16

Katherine was as friendly as usual.

"Look who's dumb enough to come back," said Katherine when she saw Alaric.

"Well," he said, "somebody had to invite hi— them in." He looked behind as Damon and Maddy came up. Maddy, of course, had already been granted entrance, but Alaric still said, "Damon, Maddy, come on in?"

"Are you trying to get me killed?" asked Katherine sharply as they went in.

Damon slammed her against the wall. "I gave you vervain, now I'm here to collect. I got it from here, Ric."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, get back in the house. Keep Elena from handing herself over."

Alaric took his leave. Katherine looked at Maddy, and the vampire had a sinking feeling that Klaus had told Katherine about how he knew that the two had slept together.

Damon didn't figure it out. "I need to know where Klaus is keeping his werewolf."

"Why?" asked Katherine. "What are you going to do?"

"My brother is being stupid and trying to get a postponement," said Maddy, shaking her head.

Katherine looked genuinely concerned. "No. You can't interfere, Damon. Klaus will kill you and everyone you've ever met. That includes your sister and your darling little brother."

"I just need to delay this thing," said Damon.

"No. No way."

"You should like this. It's going to buy another month of your pathetic life."

Katherine made a face. "Right. Except that I'm not the vampire he's planning on sacrificing."

Maddy frowned. "Wait, if you're not the vampire that's going to be sacrificed, then who—?"

Katherine tried not to look smug as she revealed, "He's got Caroline Forbes and Tyler Lockwood. Therefore, I'm in the clear."

"Of course," said Maddy. "That's the whole reason you turned Caroline and why you made Tyler trigger his curse. For fuck's sake..."

"Hey, hey, hey," said Katherine as Damon advanced to her angrily. "I'm just trying to stay alive long enough to get myself out of here."

Damon pursed his lips. "What if I told you Elena had vampire blood in her system?"

"What?!" cried Katherine.

"Courtesy of Damon," noted Maddy, looking at her brother, who was overjoyed with Katherine's shock. "Imagine how much fun that will be competing with Elena for Stefan's love for, I don't know, forever."

"The tomb," Katherine blurted out immediately. "He's got them in the tomb."

"Thank you for being helpful," said Maddy. "Damon... I don't like this. I don't want you to do this."

"So you'd rather Caroline and Tyler die?"

"No, Caroline is a sweetheart and Tyler is my stepson." She ignored the strange looks the other two vampires cast. "What I'm going to do is get a different werewolf and a different vampire and offer them to Klaus."

"Damnit, Mads, that's not what I want! I want the ritual cancelled!"

"Katherine knows more about Klaus," said Maddy. "Tell me, Katherine, how long will it take Klaus to figure out that we were the ones who forced him into another month as half of a hybrid?"

"About two seconds," said the eldest vampire.

"We should try something else," said Maddy desperately. "If we can get another witch, maybe the vampire blood can be removed from Elena's system, or something. Damon, please."