viii. Smile

미소

미소

MINA FOCUSED AS she fiddled with her fingers underneath the table, her head ducked down as she made a pencil float on the teacher's desk. All of the other students were focused on their chemistry assignment that Mina had already finished within ten minutes. She tried to keep her head low to keep anyone from seeing the color dimly glowing from her eyes as she used her powers.

She was taking as many opportunities to practice her powers anywhere, school being one of the places to do so in addition to her bedroom past her bedtime.

Upon hearing a rustle of papers beside her, she put her hand down and her eyes ceased to glow in a haste as she was nervous to get caught. She peeked in the corner of her eye, seeing Jungkook staring at his worksheet with his hands in his hair. He seemed to be in deep thought, his eyebrows stitched together.

"D-Do you need help?" Mina asked instinctively as if someone was controlling her body and making her talk. She immediately regretted it, knowing how she can barely even talk to Jungkook without sounding like an idiot. How could she help him with the assignment? She mentally cringed for what was to come as Jungkook turned to her, an innocent look in his eyes.

"You understood this?" Jungkook blinked in shock, glancing at her paper to see that it was indeed completed. "How?"

Mina hesitantly leaned in closer to see the question that Jungkook was stuck on. The lesson was balancing chemical equations, something she had learned a year before and practiced quite often.

H₂ + O₂ → H₂O

"So, since there are two molecules of oxygen on the left side and there's one on the right, the equation is unbalanced. You would put a coefficient in front of one of the reactant molecules to make it balanced. So in this case, you should put it in front of the hydrogen, because the product will have four hydrogens and two oxygens and it will be balanced," Mina explained and wrote the answer on his paper in her neat handwriting.

2 H₂ + O₂ → 2 H₂O

Jungkook stared wide-eyed at the paper, frozen as he processed everything in his brain.

"So, I can't change the subscripts of the hydrogen or oxygen molecules?" Jungkook asked innocently, making eye contact with Mina. Her heart raced as she pulled back a bit, darting her eyes to the paper nervously.

"You can't, it will change the substance completely," Mina nodded.

"Wow," Jungkook scoffed. "You're amazing, Mina."

Mina widened her eyes, shaking her head as she tried to ignore the butterflies fluttering in her stomach. "No! I'm not!"

"You're the smartest person in this class. Hell, in our whole grade, actually," Jungkook sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm so lame."