Ep 36 - Only One Can Remain

The distant beat of drums fills the air as the ferry arrives at the island. The Elemental Masters are amazed at the island and the temple. There are rows of students training in the front, bearing an Anacondrai symbol on their robes, unsettling (Y/n).

"Look at that." Cole awed as he hold onto the railing.

"Awesome." Kai breaths out.

(Y/n) huff. The only thing that's gonna be awesome is when we find Zane and get the hell out of here.

"Let me see." Karlof pushes Kai out of the way.

"Do you mind?" The teen glared at him. What his response was a battle stance, of which he gladly returns the gesture.

What stops the two from going any further is the sudden heavy 'thunk' when the crew sets down the plank. Clouse walks across it to land, "Welcome to Chen's Island. The Tournament of Elements welcomes its brave fighters." He glances over his shoulder and sees the previous Lord walking down. "Master Chen will be pleased you've returned, Sensei Garmadon." He seethes.

"The pleasure is all mine, Clouse." Garmadon scowled.

The Master of the Dark Arts rolled his eyes, "I'm sure it is." He walks away.

The Elemental Masters begin to disembark the ferry. Jay walked up to Garmadon's side as he stared at Clouse's figure climbing the stairs, "Definitely feeling some tension between you two." The rest of the ninja stood by his side.

"Yeah, and how is it we're on an island I've never seen on any map?" Kai imparted.

Cole gets in front of Garmadon, "And care to explain how the face to Ninjago's most popular noodle house is secretly assembling an underground fighting tournament?"

Garmadon reluctantly sighed, "Master Chen used to be a friend. Now he's a traitor. During the Serpentine Wars, Chen turned against his own kind and sided with the treacherous snakes."

Lloyd was taken aback by this newfound information, "The battle you and Uncle Wu fought together in? He was an enemy?"

His father walks up the steps, leading to the gates of the temple. His pupils trail behind him as he clarifies, "He used deception to divide the Elemental Masters. We barely defeated the Serpentine, and in a deal for his surrender, Chen was to never leave this island. Little did we know, he'd begin to build his criminal empire from here."

"He may have divided our ancestors, but he's not gonna divide us," Lloyd assured his father.

Kai notice the girl he was crushing on walking behind them, so he pushes the team aside, "Uh...ladies first." He smirked as she walked past. "Fire will melt her icy heart. Just wait." He purred.

Garmadon sighs as (Y/n) and the others grimace in annoyance before continuing forward.

They and the rest of the group stop and wait in front of the closed gates. Cole and the other's eyes roam the place, "This is a big island. Zane could be anywhere. Keep an eye out."

The doors then open and the group is led in by Clouse, walking on a red carpet as drums are being played. Jay whistled at the grand temple towering over them, "So this is the house that noodles built. Ha! Always wanted to go to a red carpet event."

Garmadon shoots down his excitement, "Chen lives like a king. Here, he's self-sufficient. The only way on or off this island is with his permission, which you have to earn."

Lloyd turned to his father, "You never told me about this place. How do you know so much about this island?"

"Because before Chen was my enemy, he was my Sensei." Garmadon took off his rope midway, revealing them a purple tattoo of an Anacondrai snake on his back.