Chapter 20

"Good news Di!" Meena screamed as she fell on me. "You are heavy. Get the fuck up." I pushed her aside and got up. "And here I thought I could rest for more than 10 minutes." I cursed as I glanced at my watch. "My dear Brother-in-law is going to make an entry." She started clapping dramatically. I rolled my eyes as I sat down. "Iam nervous." I whispered softly. "There is no reason to be. Man up my dear sister. You need to get your guy back, no matter what." She shook me and filled me with encouraging words. These were the times I really loved my sister.

"But don't show him your face right now. He will reject you right away without any hesitation." She eyed me from top to bottom and shook her head.

"Take a shower. Dress up casually but elegantly. Showing up this way will only tell him that you were desperate to meet him. You will be regarded as the clingy woman who couldn't move on from him. You can't disgrace me like that. I won't be able to show my face to anyone. What will they say..."

And I take it back. I hate her. "Saanvi! What are you doing here? And look at you. Are you going to show up looking like shit?" Charita rushed towards me and pushed me into the washroom. "They are going to arrive soon. Get ready." She shut the door at my face leaving me clueless. " Why would he be coming here? There was no ceremony today."

"They are sending something according to the customs. His friends will come along to deliver those. Iam 101% sure he is gonna come." Megha assured me as we stood on the first floor and looked down. I was dressed in simple yellow kurti which I borrowed from my sister. What would I say to him? Should I yell at him? Should I just smile and say Hi?

"Di! There he is!" My eyes searched the group that just arrived. He was holding a basket of fruits and was dressed in his tshirt and jeans. I kept staring at him as they placed the things and exchanged their greetings.

"Idiot! What are you doing here? Go down and greet him." Brinda glared at me. "What will I say to him?" I was starting to get tensed as my friends pushed me down the stairs.

"You haven't even aged aunty." I heard one of them say which was followed by their giggles. I slowly walked up to them and stood beside aunty. I didn't make a move as they started setting up something. "Saanvi dear. Help me out with this." Aunty called out and his head snapped to my direction.

Our eyes met as he stared at me in shock. I gave him a small smile and turned to help aunty.

"Serve them." She handed me a tray full of snacks. I gave her a nod and proceeded with my work. All the while, my eyes kept going back to him who was now busy in ignoring me. The place was buzzing with relatives and friends. All were busy doing something or the other.

Soon, I stood infront of him with the tray. "Laksh." I called out to him softly who stilled. " We need to talk." He didn't look at me as he turned and took the plate from the tray. "Thank you." He said sternly and walked away. I let out a sigh as I stared at his back.

"Any progress?" Megha asked as she entered my room. I shook my head and looked down at my toes. " According to human psychology, it will take some time to absorb the shock. Maybe he will speak up the next time you meet." Brinda patted my back as she stood beside me. "Hope so." I was feeling low. Too low. I let out another sigh of disappointment.

"Don't worry Saanvi. Leave it to me to arrange everything." Megha stood up and left with a determined look. "What will she do?" Charita shrugged at Meena. "Okay now! Cheer up! We don't want our friend's marriage ceremony to be sad. Change your aura. We need a happy and excited energy." Brinda cheered as I groaned. Ofcourse, I need to cheer up but disappointment was strong right now.

The next day, they were here again. It was Megha's plan to have them help us here with the arrangements. I was determined to talk to him today and I took up my action. I kept following him around as he kept running from me. "We need to talk. Can't you spare me a moment?" I asked again as he turned away from me as I approached him.

"You keep ignoring me and I will continue to follow you around. Soon all of them will know about us." I warned him and he stopped in his tracks. He looked around to notice that there were people around on the floor. He was quick to grab my hand and pull me into one of the empty rooms.

"What do you wanna talk about? If it is about our engagement, it is already off. There is no point in talking about it." He crossed his arms and frowned at me. I looked at him and noticed him from upclose. His face was fine and attractive as usual . His body looked the same since the last time I saw him. His frown was the only negative point in his looks right now. His mark was shining and my eyes involuntarily travelled to his lips. The memory of our kiss resurfaced in my mind. I shook my head to shake off the distracting thoughts. Think straight Saanvi!

"Why did you break up with me? We were fine and all of a sudden you just broke it off as if it meant nothing to you." I looked down to blink away the forming tears.

"

It may have been sudden to you but I have been planning since long to do so." I looked up at him with a questioning gaze. " I was waiting for the right time to break it to you. I never thought you would start falling for me.  You were right. It meant nothing to me." Though I kept comforting myself that he was just acting, his words still hurt. " Since when?" I couldn't digest the fact that all he did was an act. " I don't know when exactly but I can say, I don't like you Saanvi." I looked away to stop myself from breaking down. " Now that you know how I feel, stop following me. It's pointless now. As a mature woman, you need to know when to draw the line." I took a deep breath while he slowly walked away not before sprinkling more salt on my wounds. " It might be a coincidence that we met today. The next time we meet, don't even greet me out of formality. I'd appreciate if we can just stay as strangers."

The moment he left, I broke down into tears. Maybe I was being the clingy one. Maybe I was the one running behind him. I hoped that the outcome would be something better but today, I knew that we were never going to make up. Maybe I expected too much.

💖--------------------------------------------------💖

I hope you enjoyed the chap. What do you think about it?
Let me know in the comments!

Vote!
Comment!
Share!
💜💜💜