Chapter 21

Laksh

I stared at her as she smiled at me. How is she here? Maybe I really lost my mind now? "Laksh. Pass me that box." Varun called out to me. "What's wrong? You seem lost." I shook my head and slowly looked up to see her walking around with a tray. Is she really here? I controlled myself from smiling. I really missed her. But Smile? Do I even deserve to smile after what I have done to her!? "Laksh. Let's finish this soon. We need to help there too." I gave Varun a curt nod and resumed my work. Ignore her! Ignore her! Ignore her! I felt her eyes on me all the time as I worked. I should control myself. I should control my expressions. I can't let her know.

"Laksh." My heart fluttered at her voice. The urge to hug her and beg for her apology grew. But I did a good job in covering all of my emotions. "We need to talk." I can't Saanvi. I really can't. I won't be able to. Just a look at your eyes is enough to break by resolve. I avoided her eyes and took the plate. "Thank you." I stood up because another moment with her, I might break into tears.

I let out a shaky breath as I leaned against the wall. Should I leave? I can't face her again. It was really a close call for my raging emotions. I thought staying away from her and drowning in work would make me forget about everything. It took only one look at her to send me back to square one.

"Ritvik. Let's talk." He looked at me confused but eventually excused himself and followed me.

"Everything okay, bro?" I gave him a soft nod. "Uh ...I ...I ." I didn't know how to tell him. Telling your best friend that you want to leave and not attend his wedding is definitely not a good thing. I can imagine his reaction.

"Something came up at work. They need me urgently." Before he can speak up, I cut him off. " I will come back as soon as it is done. I will make it to your wedding." That should do. Attending his wedding will cut my chances of crossing her way.

He shot daggers my way as he scanned my face. "Is this about her?" I gulped as I avoided his gaze. "who is 'her'?" How did he know? "I know everything, okay!" He rolled his eyes at me. "Megha." He answered my unasked question.

"I heard she is a mess right now. Is this necessary, Laksh?" I looked down and gave him a nod. " For her." He shook his head in disbelief. "Did she ask you to? How would you even know what she wants? You have been running from her Laksh. Like a coward." I closed my eyes replaying all those hurtful moments I put her through.

"I know I'm terrible. Isn't it a good enough reason for her to stay away from me?"
He let out a frustrated sigh. "You are lost Laksh. Right now you are being ridiculous. Why stay away if it is effecting you so bad?" He was trying to put some sense into me. But all I can think of is running away and avoid facing her. Maybe I am really a coward.

"You are just complicating this whole thing. First, you wanted someone to love you as you are. Now when you found the perfect girl, you want to stay away from her? What exactly do you want Laksh?"

He was right. I don't even know what I want from life. Iam just pathetic.

"Just remember one thing. This coincidence is an opportunity for you to correct your foolishness. If you let this go, if you let her go, you will regret it, dude."

"I will regret it more if she is hurting because of me." I reasoned out. " Do you think she is any better right now? You are hurting her even more. She doesn't deserve this, man."