➶27

➶ ➶ ➶
"Do you ever see someone and think "Wow, they got lucky"
The craftsmanship of their bones, their brain, and their body
When I look into the mirror for too long it hurts
They don't track how many steps it takes to burn off dessert"
- God Must Hate Me, Carrie Turner
➶ ➶ ➶

➶ ➶ ➶"Do you ever see someone and think "Wow, they got lucky"The craftsmanship of their bones, their brain, and their bodyWhen I look into the mirror for too long it hurts They don't track how many steps it takes to burn off dessert"- God Must Hat...

"So yeah," Mark says, "It's not ideal, but...our quest starts now."

Nothing but silence followed his words. The air took a little bit of a static quality, purely from their nerves and surprise, but the giant was long behind them and the only problem was the insurmountable task that lay ahead of them.

"Right...right now?" Jaemin asked, his voice shaking a little bit.

"Look," Mark said, sighing, "It's actually better this way."

"Better?" April snapped, "We don't have anything but the clothes on are back. We had school supplies and maybe a few snacks in our backpacks, but those are gone. Not to mention all our phones are also smashed, and we have no form of communication. You may have demigod training or whatever in your belt, but we've only had two days. That was the first time we even saw a monster from the Greek world, and now we have to fight more of them? Worst ones? And fulfill this quest? How is this better?"

"Listen, you knew what you were signing up for," Mark replied, "All of you knew. Don't spin this on me. This quest was designed to be impossible and you knew that. Man the fuck up, the world is counting on us. You said I have experience? I'm 19, I've only known who I am for two years, and this is my second quest. Shut up and let me use my experience to help, not you, but the world. I at least know my responsibilities."

Shame burnt on April's face, but another word didn't escape her lips. She sat down on the ground, gesturing lazily for him to continue.

"Thank you," he said, but he was still biting his tongue with anger that April felt was inappropriately aimed at her. "When we got our prophecy yesterday, I noticed something strange about it. The rest of the council did too, and planned to tell you next time they saw you, but we don't have that luxury anymore."

"What?" Chenle asked, mostly pitching in because Mark was still seething and sleep deprived and he needed someone else to aim his attention onto.

Chenle's voice worked, probably less because of above reason and more because of how soft and peaceful it was (which April realized was weird). It immediately calmed the whole group down, none of them realizing it, other than Chenle, who raised a brow at the whole situation curiously.

"A time limit," he said, "Prophecies are ominous and dark and terrible, but they're supposed to tell you what to do, and most importantly, when to do it by. But not one of the lines of our prophecy tells us when we'll be stuck in deep shit with no solution. So, if anything can be a bright spot, it's that the universe threw us on our quest abruptly, instead of a prophecy telling us. If we start now, we'll be on the right timeline."