➶1

"Fought off the wolves in sheep's clothing
Stood up for what I believed
Turn my mess into messages
Learn from the lessons
And keep on, keep on, keep on"
-New Heroes, Ten

➶ ➶ ➶"Fought off the wolves in sheep's clothingStood up for what I believedTurn my mess into messagesLearn from the lessonsAnd keep on, keep on, keep on"-New Heroes, Ten➶ ➶ ➶

*chapter one*

One of the only things that had managed to stick in Lee April's brain from all her years of schooling was that school buses absolutely suck. Especially the ones from the lame excuse of a high school she was currently attending.

The yellow paint was chipping off the sides of good old Theodora, which was what the bus driver called the vehicle for whatever reason. The name on the side was completely smudged off, leaving what might have once been letters behind. April wasn't even entirely sure the bus belonged to their school.

As she stood outside her school's building on that Monday morning with the slight sprinkling of rain scattering over her head, her biggest concern was how to avoid getting on that bus under any circumstances.

But, of course, she eventually had to step onto the stained, black floor of the vehicle, scared that her foot might legitimately slip through and she'd be stuck in the awkward situation of holding up the line, except that it wouldn't be because she was looking for a seat.

Perhaps she should have found a way to not get on that bus. Then maybe her life would have remained at least a little bit close to normal.

She wrinkled her nose as she sat down on the ripped seat, using the sleeve of her sweatshirt to wipe away some of the grime on the window. She watched her school disappear as the bus slowly rolled away, the smell of its gasoline reaching her nose since none of the windows closed properly.

She leaned back on the seat, letting out an exaggerated sigh.

"I hate this," she said.

"Lighten up," her best friend, Park Jisung, said beside her. "Think about it this way. We get to leave school and go on a field trip. It can't possibly be that bad."

"Field trip my ass," she grumbled, peeking out the window again to see the rows of closed down shops that made up her small town.

Her teacher had said that they'd be going on a selective field trip, one only a few students got to go on every couple of years. Jisung might be excited to get out of class, but that had really just screamed kidnapping to April, something that wouldn't have been out of the ordinary for people living in their neighborhood.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket, but no new messages or missed calls had popped up in the time between her panicking and calling her Mom a million times and when she hesitatingly stepped on the bus.