➶28

➶ ➶ ➶
"Today, of all days, see
How the most dangerous thing is to love
How you will heal and you'll rise above
Crowned by an overture bold and beyond
Ah, it's more courageous to overcome"
- Achilles Come Down, Gang of Youths

➶ ➶ ➶"Today, of all days, seeHow the most dangerous thing is to loveHow you will heal and you'll rise aboveCrowned by an overture bold and beyondAh, it's more courageous to overcome"- Achilles Come Down, Gang of Youths➶ ➶ ➶

Lark led the group back through the countryside, hopefully towards where the Sileni were. No one could really know but Jeno, which was just slightly disconcerting.

Chenle still carried Mark on his back, making as much of a big deal about it as he possibly could, but Renjun had woken up when they were around ten minutes into the walk, rubbing his eyes blithely and ignorantly, before falling asleep again on Jisung's back.

He had been promptly shaken awake and was now sulkily walking next to Jisung's side. He kept complaining about his empty stomach and aching muscles (which April thought was exaggerated a little, but she could never be certain), but the rest assured him that would all be fixed when they reached the Sileni.

Now that was assuredly exaggerated.

April looked up at the sun as they walked, almost on habit. As it always did with the beam of light in her eyes, her mind began to wander.

She wondered what her mother was doing, and whether she had started to worry yet. The sun would start setting soon, though right now it was as bright as ever, and then April could be certain that her poor Mom would be panicking. Both her and Jisung swiped away on the same day, leaving the woman unbearably alone in an apartment that was meant for a family that could never seem to be whole.

April remembered back to the phone call she had shared with her Mom what seemed to be years ago now, after she'd just realized that she was a demigod, only half mortal.

"The house I grew up in...it wasn't the best. But I felt safe whenever he was around. I felt a warm sort of love."

What did her Mom mean when she said the house she grew up in wasn't the best? Why did she feel safe, only when he was around? How would she feel when no one was around?

"You're so weird, you know that?" Chenle huffed, suddenly next to April and managing to snap her out of her thoughts. "Staring into the sun like that. Real weird."

"I'm Apollo's daughter," April deadpanned, "Praise my superpowers."

Chenle narrowed his eyes, but didn't respond. April flinched under his gaze a bit, she could never understand why, but whenever his eyes landed on her, unmovable and still, it truly felt like he could see into the depths that even she herself wasn't aware of.

"What are you thinking about so hard?" he asked, adjusting Mark on his back as his eyes finally slid away from her. "It's dangerous, you might hurt yourself, and we can't get through this quest without the demigod herself."