The Finale

"Padmé- talk to me." Vader broke his binds and ran over, gently lifting her head.

"Don't- don't touch me." Padmé croaked, "It was because of your Empire. Your empire made me lose everything."

He paused. Was now the time? "I'm sorry. I just wanted to save you."

It hurt to breathe. Every breath was a sharp stab in the lungs. She shook her head.

"Are you an angel?" He whispered, taking off the helmet and setting it down.

Her eyebrows furrowed. Those words brought back a memory. A memory from when she was just a young girl- a queen- who went through a lot to bring peace to her people. A memory of a junk shop on Tatooine. A memory of a little boy who swore he would marry her one day...

She turned her dying eyes towards him, a small gasp leaving her pale lips. "Ani?"

The face of her husband looked down at her, his gloved hand coming up to cup her cheek, "It's me... angel... I'm so sorry..."

"Why...? Why did...?"

"I had dreams of your death. Palpatine told me he would help grant me the powers to save you. But I'm losing you now...."

She looked up, squeezing her eyes shut.

"Padmé...don't fall asleep. Please...please..."

"I won't... I'm just... taking a breather. That's all. Resting... my eyes." She croaked.

They sat there, reunited. Two star crossed lovers... who were once living a lie that their other half was gone... now holding each other as if their lives depended on it.

"Where... where are our children? Are they safe?" Anakin looked at her, stroking her cheek.

"Leia is with- Bail. Bail Organa. Luke is with... um... Owen Lars."

He took in the information and nodded, tears in his eyes, "I beg you. Please don't die." 

"Nothing can stop that now..."

"Your kids need you. I need you."

"I love you, Ani. I will always... be... with you..." she used the last of her strength to press a quick kiss to his lips, before laying back down. The beloved senator didn't last for another two minutes.

Vader looked at her, mixed between the anger of Vader, and the emotional wreck of Anakin. She was gone. Right there... in his arms.

A few years later

Vader had no luck finding his kids, much less even getting them. Obi-Wan and Yoda must've insured he would never lay eyes on them. He stood in a cruiser, glancing down at the dead Rebels, before a squad escorted a young woman over to him. She looked so familiar. Then it clicked. He knew who she was.

"Lord Vader, I should have known. Only you could be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit for this, when they hear you've attacked a diplomatic..." The woman looked at him.

"Don't play games with me, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." He studied her. It was Leia. She had her mother's features. The soft face... with the fierce eyes. He smiled under the helmet.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan..."

"You're a part of the Rebel Alliance...and a traitor. Take her away!" While the squad escorted her away, he turned and walked in the opposite direction. After all these years... he met her.

A few more years later...

"Luke, help me take this mask off." The dying man held his son's arm, already knowing he was going to die. A year or so earlier, he had suffered a respiratory injury on the battlefield. A piece of debris had hit his lung, so the mask helped him breathe.

"But you'll die." Luke looked down at his father, finally seeing good in the man that ruled evil across the galaxy alongside the Emperor.

"Nothing can stop that now. Just for once... let me look on you with my own eyes."

Slowly, and hesitantly, the younger man removed the mask and saw his dad's face. Handsome, yet old. Anakin gave him a weak smile.

"Now...go, my son. Leave me."

"No. You're coming with me. I can't leave you here. I've got to save you."

"You already have, Luke. You were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right."

"Father...I won't leave you."

------

The Forest Moon of Endor celebrated and cheered for the Empire's falling. Luke had an arm wrapped around his sister, and glanced over by a tree. There was Old Ben... and Master Yoda. But on the left, was his father in his prime, with his arm around a woman's waist. 

Even death didn't separate them. Till death do we part was a lie, because they were both at peace, together forever.

In the Twilight...