22. Chicken nuggets

It was a beautiful sunny day and Lian was out in the school yard again, talking to plants. She loved plants, she loved talking to them. Also because if she stayed out in the yard, she might find more stray animals to adopt, just like Kitty-chan!

She was walking around the yard when she spotted a certain flower. "A daisy!" She gushed. Lian touched the tips of its petals and smiled. "Well aren't you pretty? I shall name you Daisy-girl. Hello, Daisy-girl!"

To people watching, she must've looked deranged. But no one was there and plants don't judge. And if they do, they wouldn't have the mouth to say it out loud.

"Daisy-girl, sometimes I wish I had a female friend here. But now my worries are gone because I made a new friend today. A girl just like me! I mean, we're friends now, right, Daisy-girl? Are you a girl?"

The flower just stared back at her.

"You are a girl. Yes, you are! It doesn't matter what you are, you have to be yourself, yes! But I want you to be a girl, I want a girl friend. I want someone to talk about these feelings inside me. Weird, nauseous feelings. Am I sick?" Lian nodded to herself. "Yes, probably I am. These feelings that make my throat itch. These feelings that make my heart go insane. THESE FEELINGS!!! Maybe my heart's too weak... Maybe my throat's broken... It's so new to me, I have no idea what they are! Or the cause of it... Am I going to die?! But I can't die now! Are you listening, Daisy-girl? I can't—"

In the middle of her outburst, a hen passed her vision. It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

"A hen!" Lian gushed again. She was delighted as she clapped her hands. She was on a roll today! The hen was white. It had a collar and it was running around in circles in the middle of the yard. Lian chased after the chicken, making grabby hands at it. She squealed when she finally caught it and sat under a tree, next to Daisy-girl. She leaned back and put the hen on her lap, stroking its back.

Not soon later, another being ran around the yard, shouting 'NUGGETS!' wherever. Lian rubbed her eyes and squinted at the figure. It was a girl. She had reddish hair and pale skin. She was pretty! Then the girl stopped when she saw Lian under the tree, a chicken on her lap.

The girl's eyes bulged out. She couldn't believe it! LIAN WONG WAS PETTING HER CHICKEN! Lian Wong! The girl was about to walk away, ready to give away her precious chicken to Lian Wong, if that made her happy, but she heard Lian call her.

"Excuse me!" Lian's voice rang. "Are you looking for something?"

The girl turned around to face Lian and scratched her head. "I was actually looking for my chicken."

Lian's eyes rounded and she squealed in delight. She raised the hen up in the air with a huge smile on her face. "THIS IS YOUR HEN?"

The girl nodded. Lian's smile widened. She patted at the grass beside her, "Come, sit!"

The other girl hesitated for a bit before sitting down on the ground, criss-cross apple sauce like Lian.

Lian was nervous as she was excited. This huge yard she frequents in barely had people around, it was the first time someone actually came here. This girl must be different from the rest, she knew the minute she ran all the way here in full speed like a mad man in search of her chicken.

"I'm Lian," she said, holding her hand out. Lian was expecting a hand shake but instead, the girl held her hand with both her hands and gave her a little bow.

She must be Korean... Lian thought. They're known for their manners.

"I'm Youngji," the girl answered with a smile. Lian was right! She was Korean, her name and accent gave it away.