36. College kids

The first thing Mark noticed when he entered the kitchen, now well rested and less sleep-deprived, was Lian perched on a high chair reaching over something in a cupboard. She was wearing pajama shorts and a shirt that looked suspiciously his and huge insanely fluffy panda slippers that swallowed her tiny feet whole, it was ridiculous to look at. The maids were behind her, waiting to catch her if she ever fell, which was most likely. Mark shook his head, she made everyone worry so much. Though he couldn't deny she brought brightness back to this dark cavern of a house/his parents' love nest. The place felt more like home ever since she was dragged here.

"Oh, hey Tuan, you're awake!" Lian said when she noticed him opening the refrigirator door to take out a carton of milk.

Mark just nodded, still a little disoriented from sleep. He grabbed a bowl and looked for cereal before pouring some and adding milk. "Morning."

Lian giggled as she hopped down the chair, the maids cringing as she did so. "It's 10 p.m., silly."

The boy did a double take. Really? He was even more jet lagged than he thought! They were back in Hong Kong now, arriving just a couple of hours ago. It had been such a stressful flight for him, especially with Jackson sitting next to him the whole time. The boy wouldn't shut up and just kept talking, Mark had drifted in and out of sleep waking up to Jackson's chattering.

Lian sat across him on the table and eyed him carefully, not used to his lack of emotions whenever she talked. She always thought all her ideas were interesting. Okay maybe not, all her ideas were stupid and could end them up in prison. Then she propped her elbow up the table and rested her chin on her palm as she studied Mark eat.

He didn't eat like a boy... But then again how do boys eat? Even as he chewed, he looked graceful and careful. As he chewed he looked so pretty... Lian shook her head. She needed sleep, that's what she needs! Not obsessing over Mark Tuan eat! She decided to distract herself by talking.

"So something came in the mail today..."

Mark just raised a brow, completely uninterested. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM TONIGHT?!! Lian wanted to scream at his face.

"Well at least act like you wanna know." She suggested.

Mark gulped down milk before forcing a smile. Lian had to pause because she seemed to forget just how prettier he was when he smiled. She made a face. Mark chuckled. "You're like a cat," he said.

Lian blinked. "What?"

"Like Kitty-chan," Mark said, like what he said made perfect sense although Lian understood nothing. Mark chuckled again. "She gets annoyed when I don't give her my undivided attention."

Lian flipped her hair. "Fine by me, Kitty-chan is the cutest. Great comparison, Tuan!"

He let out an amused grin. "So what came in the mail today?"

The girl tried not to squeal as she remembered the gold elegant invitation adressed to both of them. "We're invited to Jackson's mom's birthday party!! Yayyy! It means she's well, right? That she's healed completely??"

Mark nodded. "That's good news."

"I'm so glad she's okay now," Lian smiled in relief, nodding her head, her eyes focusing on nothing.

A peaceful silence draped around them when Lian suddenly screamed. "OH MY GOD!"

"What is it?" Mark asked in alarm.

"Mark, what are we gonna wear?!"

He sighed. "We still have 3 weeks. Patience, little grasshopper." And then he had a thought. "Wait, the invitation card was addressed to both of us?"