68 1/2. Us against the world: Mark

DOUBLE UPDATE!!! MAKE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST BEFORE THE OTHER ONE~

Mark was never good with confrontations and he sucked at sucking up to adults but now wasn't really a good idea to remind himself that as he neared the man he'd been following from country to country. Gulping down his nervousness and mentally prepping himself up, he stopped right in front of Henry Wong's table. Not only was this man his dad's friend whom he spent most of his college years with, he was also Lian's dad. Oh, and he was also a multi-billionaire hotelier. How could Mark possibly forget.

Mark bowed politely, as what he was taught to do since young when he was in the presence of adults. "Mr. Wong," he greeted with a firm voice.

Henry Wong stood up and to Mark's horror, opened his arms out for the boy. When Mark didn't respond, he nodded his head and beckoned Mark with his fingers. "Get in here, son."

Mark let out a grin which actually just looked like an awkward attempt of a toothy smile before stepping in and hugging the man, who chuckled as he patted Mark's back before finally letting him go.

"You've always been the prim and proper one. Your brother Joey lungs at me and screams in my ear every time I see him. You, on the other hand, don't even call me Shushu." (Chinese for uncle)

"Shushu," Mark tested with an awkward laugh. "How's it going?"

"Just my afternoon coffee, you know how it is," Henry Wong beamed. "Come, sit!"

Mark obliged, almost tripping over his own feet as he tried to grab the chair across the older man. They began making small talk, starting with how Henry doesn't even like Starbucks, he'd much rather have flat white ("Although I only drink that when I'm in Australia otherwise, nothing else compares"). Soon they discuss about the weather, about Hong Kong politics, the stock market—Mr. Wong even gave Mark some stock tips. What better way to learn the ropes from the stock master himself, Henry Wong? Of course this was all so that Mark can warm up to him, and when Mark was finally able to do so, he finally cut to the chase.

"So, Mark. I heard you have been trying to get in touch with me," Mr. Wong began. "And you were finally able to contact my secretary last week, am I right?"

Mark nodded. "You're a very hard man to find, shushu. You're always on the move."

Mr. Wong heartily laughed. "You found me anyway. Is there anything I can do for you?"

"There isn't, shushu. At least not anymore," Mark said, unconsciously looking down at what's left of his coffee.

This didn't escape Henry Wong's eyes, of course. "What do you mean?"

"Really, I don't think there's a need to say this to you anymore."

Mr. Wong looked at the boy knowingly. "Ah, I see. This is about Lian." Realization finally dawned on him, though he already knew it was about his daughter. She was always causing trouble, that silly girl.

Mark remained quiet, his ears flushed as he has been found out.

"You see, my wife filled me in yesterday the minute I arrived. She didn't want me to find out through Lian before I heard her side of the story."

"It's okay, Mr. Wong—I mean, shushu. I understand. Lian running away from our household, me letting her and not letting any of the adults know, it doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture."

Henry Wong nodded, a proud smile on his lips. "I'm glad you know. But I also know why you'd done it. Because I would've done it too, if I were you."

Mark looked at the older man, dumbfounded. Here he thought he was getting reprimanded but he was getting praised instead.

The latter dragged out a sigh. "I'm sorry for dragging you into our family's problems, Mark. Mrs. Wong only did what she did because she felt guilty our daughter acted like that towards you and your parents. And I'm going to be honest here, she was also disappointed in you for not telling us, her parents, about her living conditions. I know it's not supposed to be your job, you're not my daughter's keeper but seeing she wasn't in her right mind, and you being the responsible kid that you are, I half expected you to come out with the truth."