Facing Reality (Avengers: Infinity War 2018)

(Third POV)

On the Benatar, every person aboard it are doing their own separate things, with Drax doing a technique that allows him to become invisible by staying completely still or move as slow as possible, and in Y/N's words to that, it's utter crap. Speaking of him, Mantis and Y/N are currently talking to each other about what their special abilities are.

"I have explained what my abilities are to the rest of the people here, and they have something to do with my antennae." Mantis begins to explain. "They help me tap in to my empathic abilities."

"Like thoughts?" Y/N asks.

"No, telepaths can read thoughts. Empaths can read off of emotions, and to an extent, I can experience a person's emotions rather than just state them out." Mantis corrects before holding out her hand so that she may help Y/N understand a little bit better. "May I?" She asks him, and Y/N nods before holding out a hand for her to take. Then, Mantis's antennae tips glow a bright white, and she looks at him with sadness.

"You feel angry." Mantis points out.

"Well, Thanos basically kicked my ass easily, so I doubt that it doesn't make me feel angry." Y/N says, thinking that's what she means.

"No, you feel angry over someone's death. Two people, in fact." Mantis corrects him again before the metal-armed man looks at her with a sad expression he has not given others in so long. "You have also been mourning. You have always mourned over the loss of loved ones, especially the ones who conceived you."

"When have you not mourned for the people you care about? If only I was there on the day my parents were about to be murdered, I might've been able to do something..." Y/N vents out his frustrations, so much so that his Mantra aura starts to flare up, causing Mantis to instinctively use her powers to change how he is feeling from angry to almost calm. He notices this and looks at her with confusion. "What did you do to me?"

"I merely changed how you were feeling. You were becoming pretty scary for a moment." Mantis honestly says, causing Y/N to look down in shame. "I can also place people in an unconscious state, or vice versa like what I tried to before."

"Yeah, I know." Y/N says before he goes into detail on his abilities as well, but never divulging about the Eight Guardian Generals, however he only tells her about them as if it were a fictional story which intrigues Mantis to no end. Soon after, they decide to head to the bridge where the rest of the Guardians are, and they see that Drax has not moved from his position in at least an hour.

"Hi Drax." Mantis greets, not really catching on about what he is supposed to be doing.

"Damn it." Drax lets out before walking away, leaving the four of them to themselves. Quill decides to check on how far they are until Knowhere while Mantis goes somewhere else, leaving Y/N and Gamora to themselves.

"Y/N, I've told Peter this, but I need to ask you a favor." Gamora says, catching the metal-armed man off guard.

"We've only known each other for hours, and you're asking for a favor?" He asks, getting a nod from the Daughter of Thanos.

"My father is scared...of you, and that's all the hope I need to know that we can win against him. And with that, if he ever means to capture me..." Gamora hesitates asking him this but decides to do it anyway. "If he were to capture me, I want you to kill me." This favor shocks Y/N to an extent.

"Why are you asking such a thing?" He asks.

"If I were to tell you why, then you'd know and he'd torture the information I have told you out of you." Gamora responds.