3 | Empty House

The lights of the skyscrapers in the night reflect off the car's tinted windows as you drive through the city. The hospital had given you a t-shirt and some scrub pants to wear since your clothes had been destroyed. Your new makeshift outfit wasn't the most fashionable, but it did the job.

You ride silently next to Shoto, who's driving the sports car. He weaves through the city's streets, eventually turning into a parking garage beneath a large skyscraper.

The toxic fumes from all the car exhaust turn your stomach as he parks, turning off the car before you both get out. The rhythmic sound of your shoes against the concrete echoes through the structure, only punctured by a soft ding when Shoto pushes the button to call the elevator.

After a minute the doors open, and you both step inside. You shift awkwardly, and as if he can read your mind, he breaks the silence. 

"I'm sorry that was the best we could do for you for clothing right now... I got your size from the hospital's reports and texted one of my female friends to see if she could bring some clothes in that size but she wasn't available until tomorrow."

"That's okay... I appreciate the thought. This is fine for now."

After what feels like an eternity, the elevator stops and the doors open. You exit and begin walking down a carpeted hallway filled with doors. You find one at the end, and Shoto pulls a key out from his pocket. He unlocks the door, holding it open for you to enter.

Once you go inside and look around, your eyes widen. "Holy shit! This is a condo, not an apartment!"

The gigantic glass window along the back wall looks down at the city, and on the right of the space was a large kitchen with marble countertops. To the left was more open area with both a living and dining rooms and a spiral staircase leading up in the corner.

"I guess you could say that..." He sighs sadly. "Although it's much too empty for my liking."

"What do you mean? This place is filled with stuff!"

"It's not things I'm lacking."

You raise an eyebrow as he makes sure to secure the door before leading you toward the staircase. 

"All of my friends have their own families now, so it's always quiet and lonely..." You both begin to ascend the staircase, and a sad look dances in his eyes as his tone becomes hushed. "I'd love to have one of my own someday, so I don't have to come home to an empty house every night."

Your heart hurts for him, but before you can say anything you reach the top of the stairs.

"My room is the master, it's over there if you ever need me." He leads you to a nearby door, holding it open to let you in. "This is the guest room and bathroom, help yourself to anything in the cabinets, closets, or dressers. I trust you can take care of yourself?"

You nod.

"Alright then, I'll leave you be."

Once he's closed the door and left, you get to take a good look at the room.

It flaunts a sleek black and white modern design, so clean and tidy it almost looks as if no living soul had ever entered before. On the wall across from the door sat a large king-sized bed, perfectly made with an abundance of pillows and a nightstand on either side. A storage ottoman sat at the foot of the bed and a matching headboard completed the look. Matching lamps adorned both bedside tables, and some kind of modern art painting hung on the wall above the bed. The wall to the left was a large floor-to-ceiling window with automated blackout curtains and a beautiful view of the city below. The wall on which you entered had an electric fireplace built into the wall directly across from the bed, and a large flatscreen TV sat mounted above it. A large chandelier hung from the high ceiling, and on the wall to your right is two sets of doors. One was french-style double doors with frosted glass, and the other was a pocket door with a modern look matching the rest of the room. It was further down the wall, and you decided to investigate it first.

Upon opening the door you discovered a large walk-in closet with built-in dressers and storage galore. You notice some items folded up on one of the shelves, and you grab one to see what it is.

An oversized t-shirt. 

Perfect.

You take it with you as you leave the closet and head over to the other room, which you discover is the bathroom. Towels and toiletries were already set out nicely, almost as if the hero had been expecting company. You sigh, and quickly go about taking a shower and getting ready for bed. 

You glance at yourself in the mirror, studying the various faded scars that litter your body- specifically small circular ones. They make you nauseous and you don't know why.

After a few minutes you tire of looking at them, so you decide to cover them with clothes.

You change into the oversized t-shirt (it fitting you more like a dress) before heading back into the bedroom. You crawl into the large bed and turn out the lamp you had left on before getting comfortable in the soft, fluffy bed. You close your eyes, and are immediately met with sleep.