4| Nightmares

(TW: Child abuse and neglect, Sexual abuse by a family member, Suicide, Sexual assault)

"...and what's your name sweetheart?"

"Y-...Y/N...." Your voice shakes as you speak to the operator on the other end of the phone.

"Do you know your last name?"

"N-no-.... P-p-please..." you sob. "Help m-me-..."

"Where are you right now?"

"At home-"

"And where is your home-?"

"...C....-ville.... -95 N-...."

"Okay honey, Help is on the way. What's wrong again?"

"M-... my Mommy I-isn't b-breathing and m-my D-Daddy locked h-himself in h-his r-room aft-ter he f-found her-... t-then I heard a l-loud b-b-bang-..."

"How old are you?"

"Seven-..."

"And you said your name was Y/N, correct?"

"Yeah-..."

"Is your father responding when you call to him?"

"N-no-..."

"Okay, just hang tight sweetie." The lady's voice is calm and reassuring as you begin to hear police sirens in the distance steadily approach. "Help is almost there..."

You're startled awake by a pain shooting through your arm. You hiss and look to see that you've managed to roll all the way across the bed and whacked your arm on the corner of one of the bedside tables. 

You glance at the alarm clock.

2:07 am.

Great.

You roll back over and find a spot again, closing your eyes as you return to your dreams.

"Y/N, aren't you happy to be living with me?" Your uncle smiles, on his knees to be at eye level with you. 

You shake your head, clutching a small stuffed elephant to your chest. "I want my Mommy..." You sniff. 

The apartment around you is rundown and wreaks of mildew, B

The apartment around you is rundown and wreaks of mildew, B.O., cigarettes, marijuana, and stale Doritos dust. Dirty dishes fill the sink, mold and mouse feces decorate the countertops, the fridge is filled to the brim with old rotten food, and flies fill the entire space. 

"I know it's hard to get used to, but we have each other, okay? We can be best friends forever!" He pulls you into a hug against your will, and you shift when one of his hands ends up on your rear. "And that means we don't tell other people our secrets." He whispers.