[AustinCarlile] Mentor - XwriteforlifeX

People don't understand what he means to me. It's not that I need him in order to survive or anything, it's not like that at all, actually. I can live without him.

I just choose not to.

There are people, mostly friends, family friends, parents, they don't really think that a nineteen year old female should be friends with a twenty four year old man, But, really, it's none of their business.

He doesn't use me. I don't use him.

We're not friends with benefits, or anything like that. Our friendship is one of respect, one of mutual need, and one of mutual importance.

We met when I was in eighth grade. No, we weren't fast friends. Actually, we weren't friends until I was a senior in high school and he was already touring with Of Mice and Men, saving lives, being a hero.

Our high school had this program in which a senior was assigned an eighth grader towards the end of the year. Considering seniors stop caring the fourth quarter of the year, they were in charge of making sure that we had no fears about the upcoming four years.

And, luckily, Austin was my mentor.

It wasn't that we didn't like each other. He was super nice and I was probably too shy for my own good. They probably should have made the sophomores be our mentors instead of the scary seniors.

At first, I didn't really see his attractiveness, at all, to be honest. I guess it's like most people, as you grow older, mature more, the more attractive those people become, and that was him, in a nut shell.

Really, the two of us didn't talk to each other, not much, only a few words here and there. He was supposed to tell me all about high school, but I realized that his high school experience wasn't that great, so I didn't really press for more knowledge.

There was no reason to. I wasn't that nervous about high school. I knew about the bullies, I knew about the popular kids, and I knew about the ins and outs of high school. He wasn't useless, but he definitely wasn't an advantage.

Anyway, I work in a small diner near the campus of the college I attend, just a few minutes away while walking. It doesn't pay well, but the tips help, plus, it's social, I'm not alone and I make money.

It's how we rekindled whatever little friendship we had, if you can even call it that. It's how we reunited, not even that, that word isn't good. That's how he stumbled into my life again. There, that's better.

He came with the guys in his band and some of the guys in the crew. Usually large tables like that are fought over by the waitresses, the biggest tips of the night come from large groups of people.

But, when he saw me, I don't really know how he remembered me. His eyes lit up and he walked over quickly, wrapping his arms around me in a hug. It was the first time someone from my hometown was that excited to see me.

The girls pretty much let me have the table after that.

Later, I learned that he remembered me, but not enough to come up and hug me. He said something about knowing we all wanted the table for the tip, and that he could have sworn he knew me from somewhere, so he just went with it.

I didn't thank him for that. It stung a little, actually.

He just doesn't know that.

Austin never really thinks. I mean, he does, when his fans are involved or his music is involved. But, other than that, it's like he doesn't have a brain, there's no filter there to stop him from saying stupid things.

It's interesting, to see him transform from himself to a hero, I knew him in high school and now I know him now, present day, as the frontman of Of Mice and Men, it's so amazing to see how much more confident he is.

Anyway, people don't really like how he's five years older than me. My parents. they don't really care, they know that Austin would never pressure me into doing something, and they know that I'm not going to let anyone pressure me.

I'm not that easily manipulated.

Besides, he doesn't care that I'm five years younger than him, and neither do I.

"Jewels, what are you thinking about?" Turning my head to face him as my thoughts are interupted by his voice, I bite down on my lower lip, shrugging my shoulders, not wanting to admit that I'm thinking about us and everything I wish we were. "Your pretty blue eyes are staring off into the distance. Whatever you're thinking about has to be something serious."

Tucking a strand of my blonde hair behind my ear, I let out a soft sigh, shaking my head. "Nothing serious. Just thinking. Nothing important."

Raising an eyebrow, he cocks his head to the side, laughing softly. "You're not fooling me, Jewels." Crossing his arms over his chest, he leans back on the couch.

Combing my fingers through my hair, I don't know whether to tell him or not. Alan thinks that he likes me the way I like him. But, Austin hasn't said anything to Alan about it, and he would tell Alan.

Alan says that he just has that feeling. And I think that Alan has mental problems.

"I'm just thinking about my finals. I should probably start studying for them now, right? Put the spacing effect to good use." I can't lie to him, I don't know why I even try. I can lie to anyone else, and they won't catch me. My voice doesn't get higher when I tell him a lie; I do everything the same.

Chewing on his lower lip, he lolls his head back for a few seconds before looking at me again. "Do you want to know how I know when you're lying? Your eyes become a darker shade of blue and the tips of your ears twitch a little."

Opening my mouth to say something, anything, I close it, not knowing what to say. I didn't realize that he paid so much attention to me.

"And the right corner of your mouth tries to twitch up in a smile, but the left side doesn't budge. And I just really want to feel what your lips feel like on mine."

Smiling, I feel a blush warm my cheeks, painting them red. "Why haven't you yet?"

Running a hand through his hair, he sighs, his leg bouncing up and down suddenly. "Because, I don't know, I don't think you want me to."

He's so dense.

Leaning forward, my heart beating so quickly, I can feel it in my stomach, it's ringing in my ears, I press my lips against his, smiling into it as his hands cup my face.

I guess Alan doesn't have mental problems.

And my mentor became my lover.