[KellinQuinn] Age Is But A Number - zombie_love

The air is cold, still sending chills down my spine through my jacket. It isn’t that cold out, though. I know my roommate is sitting in our dorm room, smirking because she was right.

Wearing only a tank top with thin fabric and a leather jacket was not the brightest idea, considering it’s just the beginning of spring.

Rolling my eyes, I continue to trudge down the sidewalk, trying to get to Starbucks. This is my home; I’ve been here for two years, and I don’t really want to be anywhere else now that I’ve been here.

You know the saying, “I know it like the back of my hand”? I know this town like the back of my hand. Sure, I don't know everyone in the town, but I know everything in the town.

Some people say that they want to leave the town, that it’s just a small town in Washington. But, I disagree. This town is wonderful, quaint; it’s so pretty when the flowers begin to bloom, when the rain falls.

Grabbing onto the door handle, I pull on it, walking into to the warm Starbucks. Shutting the door behind me, I smile, waving at Loraine, who is currently standing behind the counter, bored.

Walking over, I rest my elbows on the counter, tilting my head to the side. Loraine walks over to me, wiping her hands on her green apron. “The usual, Joslyn?”

Nodding, I can’t help but smile. This is the best thing about being in a town like this. Everyone is friendly. “Thanks, Loraine.”

She waves her hand, dismissing my thank you. “You’re the reason this place stays in business.” As she spins around to make my drink, I pull out a five dollar bill from my back pocket.

“Here you go, sweetie.” Loraine walks over to the other end of the counter, sliding the drink towards me. Handing her my money, she shakes her head. “This one is on the house.”

Sighing, I shake my head. “That’s ridiculous, Loraine. There’s no way that I'm not going to pay you.” Running a hand through my black hair, which I recently tinted blue with randomly placed blonde patches, I narrow my eyes.

A cough causes the two of us to look to the other end of the counter. “If you won’t let her pay then let me pay for her.”

Drawing my eyebrows together, I look at the man, his hair covered by a hood, his eyes covered by sunglasses.

Loraine places her hands on her hip, still acting as if she was a teenager although she just turned sixty last week. “Now, baby, it’s not sunny in here nor is it raining. I will not allow anyone to pay for Joslyn. She comes here enough to be able to not pay once.”

“Loraine,” I whisper, narrowing my chocolate brown eyes at her. “Take the money and give me the drink.” It isn’t that I want to be rude. It’s that I want to get out of here.

If he doesn’t want to date anyone who is more than two years younger than him, then what’s the point in me even trying to talk to him? I could have sworn that age doesn’t matter in love.

It wasn’t that I was no longer a fan of his; I can obviously tell that it’s him under his “disguise,” since I've been to his concerts before and I listen to his band.

She draws her eyebrows together, shocked at my hastiness. “Fine, if you want to pay.” Extending her hand, she takes the five dollar bill out of my hand, walking back to the cash register.

Taking the cup off of the counter, I walk over to a table, not caring to get my change. Sitting down, I bring the cup up to my lips, sipping it slowly.

Someone sits across from me, the chair creaking as he pulls it back. Sighing, I look up, being faced with him. “Can I at least have your name?”