I'm Not The One To Joke [CalebShomo - DeathCollecter]

Author's Note:

This was so much better in my head, so please, don't be afraid to tell me that you hate it. I mean, I think that it's cute, but I don't know. I hope that you like it, though! Enjoy!

“I got here as fast as I could. What happened?” Closing the door to his house behind me, I kick off my flip flops, running a hand through my hair as I shout out to him, expecting him to respond, to say something, even a grunt, but he doesn’t. My heartbeat quickens, anxiety coursing through my veins as I begin to think the worst, he didn’t sound happy, he didn’t sound like he wanted to live, and I need him to live, in every selfish way possible.

He isn’t mine, he’s never been mine, he’ll never be mine, nothing more than a best friend, someone I've known since high school, someone who I’ll be forever grateful for by helping jumpstart my band’s music career.

But, he’s more than that to me, more than the guy I thank every time we’re on stage or in the booklet of the album. He’s more than that guy I used to hang out with in high school, the one who I would do homework with.

To me, he’s just Caleb. Okay, he isn’t just Caleb. Caleb is so much more than that; he’s the guy that I’ve liked since freshman year, but there’s nothing I can do about it, not anymore.

Her name is Fluery. She’s gorgeous, I don’t think that I could ever compete with her, I can’t compete with her in his eyes. To make it even more depressing, she’s nice, and she’s outgoing, she’s so vibrant and he’s drawn to that, because it’s almost the opposite of his personality.

He’s quiet, he’s soft-spoken, and he’s guarded and insecure.

“Caleb, is everything okay?” If there’s one thing to know about Caleb, is that silence is deadly, that if he knows you and trust you, he’ll talk, and when he doesn’t, something is happening, something that none of us really want to imagine.

Walking quickly, rushing, I open the door to his room, cringing as it creaks. “Caleb, please, I swear, if you’re alive and you didn’t answer me I'm going to flip out.”

He’s sitting on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands, his elbows resting on his knees, and it breaks my heart to see him like this. Sighing, I run a hand through my hair, biting down on my lower lip as I feel my eyes become overwhelmed with water, but I don’t bother wiping them away.

Sitting beside him, placing my hand on his back, I rest my head on his shoulder, rubbing random shapes across the fabric of his shirt. “Caleb, will you tell me what happened?”

A single tear slides down my cheek, but I don’t have the energy to push it away. It’s just Caleb, he’s seen me cry numerous times, over whatever it was at the time, he’s really the only one that I let see me vulnerable, and that has to say something, but to him it doesn’t.

He deserves to be happy, his happiness means everything to me, and you don’t need a college degree to figure that out. I'm intelligent enough to know that his happiness comes before mine, especially when it comes to love, because it’s all he wants, that’s all he searches for, and if he thinks that he found it, I'm not stupid enough to challenge him about that.

Without saying a word, he removes one of his hands from his face, his palm dripping with water that fell from his eyes, a diamond ring resting on it, the diamond ring he gave to her.

My heart stops, it cracks, my lips part slightly, confused. Nothing bad happened to her, she was tweeting less than an hour ago. I don’t understand why he has it. “Caleb, I don’t get it.”

Deep down, I get it, I know why he has it, but I refuse to believe it. This girl, she made him so happy, happier than music could ever make him, happier than I could ever make him, and now she’s just gone, she’s out of his life, and I don’t understand it.