-Shameful Girl...-

-(Kanae's POV)-

(Yay, first POV change)

Shinobu, (y/n) and I looked around the village, trying to find the demon we're looking for. As we walked, we ended up on an empty street. 'The presence of a demon is so strong here'  I put my hand on my sword's handle, ready to pull it out when the demon strikes.

"Kanae-san, Shinobu-san, I want you two to get back to the crowd." She says, a hint of seriousness in her tone. She turns around with a comforting smile. "It's alright. If I need any help I'll let you know." (y/n) added, she must have felt the demon as well. I'm worried about (y/n), she's only been training for a few weeks and this demon is really strong, much stronger than I thought it would be. With this presence it might as well be an upper moon.

---

"Kanae, I want you to go to xxx village and kill the demon there. It seems to be a rather strong one. It might even be a twelve kizuki. You'll be leaving tomorrow morning. Please do feel free to ask (y/n) for advice."

"Hai, Oyakata-sama."

---

I don't want to leave her but she seems like she knows what she's doing and oyakata-sama did say that she would be of help. 'Maybe she's more powerful than she's letting us believe?'  Even though I'm still a little unsure I decided to do what she says, slowly walking back to the streets full of people, bringing Shinobu with me. We don't need to walk far, just around the corner a few yards(meters) away. I take a quick peak back at (y/n)'s form before going around the corner. 'She's going further into the empty street, all by herself. Is this really a good idea?'

"Nee-san I don't understand, who is she and what is she doing? You felt it too, the demon here is very powerful. Do you really think she can fight it by herself?"

"I don't know Shinobu-chan. I don't like this either but it's like she knows something we don't. There's something about her that is different from everyone else." I say and sit down and leaning my back agains the wall.

"Yes she's stupid. We're on a hashira ranked mission and she's going by herself even though she's not even a demon slayer yet." Shinobu says, sitting down next to me.

"Yes but I can't help but think she knows what she's doing. Do you really think she's just stupid. She knows it's a strong demon and for some reason she wanted us to stay behind."

"Do you mean she's trying to protect us? Then she's even more stupid than I thought, we should be the ones protecting her."

'Wait she's right, why would she ask us to stay behind. Don't tell me she's over there getting herself killed to try and keep us safe...' "Shinobu-chan we should go help her out now!"

"Hai!"

We both stand up but as we do something changes. 'The demon's presence, it's gone.'

"Nee-san!"

"I know, hurry!"

We both run into the empty street, running while looking for a certain (h/c)-nette(blond). 'This can only mean one of two things... either (y/n) managed to kill the demon... or...' I brush the thought away not wanting to think about what might have happened. We continue to look for our last party member. Night becomes morning. Morning becomes day. Day becomes night.

"Nee-san we've looked everywhere. She's not in this village. She's-"

"No, we haven't found any signs of a fight, not even a single drop of blood. She has to be alive. We just need to find her, we-"

"Nee-san! We're not going to find her. She's gone. It's time we move back home, we need to report back to oyakata-sama."

I don't have anything else to say. She's right. There is no way she could have survived such a strong demon and even if she did, she's not here. I'm not gonna find her. She's gone because of me. I shouldn't have left her alone. I'm a hashira, I'm supposed to be the one protecting her.

Shinobu and I started heading home, even though it was already dark outside. We didn't want to stay any longer in this village. We ran out of the village and into the forest. It was really calm. Not a single demon around. We ran through the same village we stopped in before the mission. The festival is still going on. '(y/n) looked so happy when I told her we would stop by after our mission.'

We encountered a few weak demons around the festival. We easily got rid of them and continued on our way back home. As we ran on the small road between the trees, the sun was starting to rise. We continued and soon the estate could be seen in the distance. As we closed in, my crow flew over us.

"Caw! Caw! Welcome back, welcome back!" it sounded before speeding past us to tell everybody about our return.

As we reached the big gate, we slowly walked through. On the other side were Rengoku and Shinazugawa, already waiting for us.

"Welcome back!" Rengoku happily sang.

"Welcome." Shinazugawa said, frowning. "Where's the girl?"

I looked down, not wanting to look them in the eyes. Shinobu took my hand in hers and spoke up.

"We lost her in the encounter with the demon. We do not know if she's alive, we could not find her anywhere." Shinobu said, her voice slightly cracking.

"HEY! WELCOME BACK (Y/N)!!" I heard someone scream from afar. I looked up at Shinazugawa, his eyes slightly widened. I know that he loves his brother even though he doesn't really show it. He didn't want his little brother to have to go through the pain of losing someone again, but now it's too late. (y/n)'s not here.

Genya ran up to us looking around with a wide smile, "(y/n)?", but as he looked back and forth without finding who he's looking for it faded away and a shadow covered his face. He didn't say anything. He just looked down, shaking slightly. I looked at Shinazugawa, signaling for him to grab his brother, and as he did so it looked like it was the only thing holding his brother up. Genya threw his arms around him and just hid his face in Sanemi's chest. I could see the pain in Sanemi's face at the sight of his brother in pain, one he had tried to protect him from.

"I'm sorry Genya-kun" was all I could say, as I headed towards oyakata-sama's estate to report my mission.

~~~~~

a/n: Here you go, new chap and new POV, yay! Also I guess I tried to make it a lil' angsty but idk since it's still the first time I'm writing it<3

Y'all been naming the dots in the fourth chap. Thank you? Idk but cheers for Karma and Elizabeth Taylor!

I'm currently about to start on the Doma x reader fight and idk how it's gonna turn out tbh. 

I just love how most of you read this during my night so I always wake up to like 20 Wattpad notices. I love starting my day with votes, comments and love from y'all 🥺

-Love, author-chan