-What a Great First Day at Work-

-(Genya's POV)-

I woke up to the light sipping through my blinds. The bright string was pointing right at my eyes and I hissed a little when I opened them. 'So bright...' I groaned as I sat up, raising my hands up in a stretch. I stand up to my feet and stretch some more before getting dressed. 'Today's the day. I'm finally joining Himejima-sensei on a mission!' I quickly finish getting ready and sprint out of my room. I ran through the corridors of the stone estate to find Himejima-sensei.

"Himejima-sensei! I'm ready, when are we- ehh..." I was looking into Himejima-sensei's room but he's nowhere to be seen. 'Where is he?' I walk around some more in hopes of finding him but after a while I conclude that he's not here. I decided to head over to the butterfly estate since Himejima is there often to see Kanae-san and while I'm there I might as well grab some breakfast before heading out.

When I arrived at the butterfly estate it's just as I'd thought. Outside was Himejima-sensei chatting with Kanae. I could see Kanao-san in the background with her usual dull smile. I walked up to them without interrupting their conversation, which was already at an end.

"Alright good luck with your mission himejima-san, Genya-kun, I'll see you later." Kanae said as she waved and walked off.

"Thank you Kanae-san" I said and waved back before turning to Himejima-sensei. "Are we leaving for our mission now?" I asked while trying to conceal my excitement.

"Yes, but you should eat something first." He says with a gentle expression.

"Hai!" I agreed and ran to get some food. I hurriedly ate it before going back to Himejima-sensei. "Let's go!"

"Did you already eat? Alright then let's head out." He looked a little concerned at how fast I must have eaten to be back within those few minutes I was gone but non the less happy to see me so excited.

The village wasn't too far away so we got there rather quickly, it probably didn't even take an hour. We walked around the village as Himejima-sensei continued to explain how to deal with the mission. He told me that it was a good idea to come before night so that I could familiarize myself with the surroundings. I could also talk to the villagers to find out information to easier find out the demon's goal and thereafter who might be their next target. Sometimes the demons just keep in one place, like around a curtain bridge for example, and then it would be rather simple to go on with the mission during nightfall.

We spent the day in the village just walking around talking to people, studying the village and eating some noodles. The noodles were really tasty. Soon enough the sun was setting and we had gotten some information about the demon.

"It walks at night"

"It mostly takes young boys around 16 and only a few girls around the same age."

"It's been coming closer, at first it was in the outskirts but now it's around here too"

"The kids who were kidnapped were out after dark, that's why nobody dares to go outside at night anymore"

These were some of the most useful knowledge we managed to come across. Himejima-sensei said it was important to conclude what was actually important and what was not when asking around and I didn't understand at first but...

"You should check my neighbor, he's always been grumpy."

"I think he took my cat as well"

"I think they just ran away"

As we were patrolling the area where the last boy had been abducted we heard rushed footsteps. We quickly moved to where we heard the running and found the children. Two girls. One of them was very cute and lady-like, she was wearing a pink kimono and had long hair styled in a half up half down bun. The other girl had short and messy hair and was wearing a green yukata with a pair of black hakama pants. It would have been easy to miss judge her for a boy.