Chapter Twenty Two

"I think I'm falling in love with you." My eyes opened at that moment and the first person I could see, when my eyes adjusted to the light, was Damian. He looked like he had seen a ghost when he looked down at me. "You're awake," he breathed out. "I've got to get a nurse! Or, um, a doctor!" Damian raised out of the room. Hang on, where was I? I sat up slightly and looked around. I examined my surroundings and recognised that I was in a hospital. A hospital? What was I doing here? I looked around and Damian came rushing in with a nurse and my parents.

"Oh, my baby girl!" My mum ran towards me, almost pushing the nurse to the ground, and pulled me into a hug.

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to hold the hugs. I need to check her over," the nurse said to my mum. My mum had tears streaming down her face as she backed away. She muttered something about being happy that I was awake. I was asleep? What happened? "Kylie, I'm Dani, how are you feeling?"

"Good," I cough out. Yikes, why was my throat so sore and scratchy?

"Kylie, you've been in a coma for about seven weeks. I'll go get you some water. Don't speak too much, okay? Just rest your voice for now." Dani, the nurse, left the room and I was embraced into my dad's arms.

"I'm so happy you're alright," he cried out. My dad, he was crying. This was shocking to me because he never cries! Damian was standing at the end of my bed with a smile and tearful look on his face. "Do you remember what happened?" I shook my head at him. Does he know what happened? "Darling, you were hit by a car seven weeks ago. You've been in a coma ever since." A car? I was hit by a car? Hearing that, I suddenly got a flashback. It all came back. Jake and I had had an argument and I- oh gosh, I told him I hated him! The call ended and I was crying and walking. I didn't even see the car coming and next thing I knew, I blacked out. That was all I remembered.

Dani came back with a plastic cup and a bottle of water. She poured some in the cup and handed it to me. I brought the cup to my lips and sipped at it. The water felt cool running down my my throat. I drank it all within a few seconds, feeling oddly thirsty. I had never been this thirst in my life. "Alright, can you talk okay now?" Dani asked me.

"I think so," I reply, my throat not feeling too bad anymore.

"Good. Now, how are you feeling? Do you remember what happened?"

"I know I got hit by a car and that's it," I answer, frowning down at my lap. "Oh, and I've been in a coma for seven weeks."

"Yes, you have. Now, you had a broken left leg but it seems to have been much better. Obviously you'll have to go see a physiotherapist who will help you with your injury. Don't worry, everything is fine, it's just you're going to need to learn to walk back properly on that leg. Since you've been out for a while, your whole body may feel weird and numb especially that leg of yours which was broken. Okay, so have you got any headaches? Can you see properly?" She waves a hand in front of my face as if I weren't paying attention.

"I can see fine and no headaches." I was glad I seemed to have been fine but I was just worried about how much I missed. I also was worried about the relationship between Jake and I. Was he still mad at me for telling him I hate him?

"Alright, I will be back to check on you later on. Just get reacquainted with your family," she says to me with a warming smile on her face. "Oh, and welcome back," she adds, patting my shoulder lightly. She then gave a smile to my parents and Damian before walking out of the room. Well, at least she didn't flirt with Damian like that waitress a while back.

"So, what'd I miss?" I ask them, making my mum burst out into more tears. Oops. "Oh, mum, don't cry. I'm here, alive and kicking!" To make my point, I move my right leg and kick the air. I would've done both but I didn't want to do anything in case my left leg wasn't too up to it. I mean, it did feel pretty numb. I realised something though. I haven't shaved my legs in seven weeks. That was the least of my worries, obviously, but I couldn't help but think how hairy they must be!